Old December 1st 03, 10:37 PM
Mark Russo

Hhhmmm, thought this group was rec.radio.amateur.equipment?
The FT-847 is amateur equiptment.
:-)

Mike Coslo wrote:

Because this isn't the group for that, that's why. The groups are
divided into topics so that people have an idea what might be in them.

Mark Russo wrote:
Why the heck not? As long as one uses FA in the subject line.
I know some folks are touchy about things like that.
I picked up a Yaesu FT-847 on Ebay via a post here.
I paid $675 for it on ebay about a year ago.
The rig is flawless and works great!!
Keep the ebay posts coming!!!

Someone else will be wondering why the heck they can't post ebay ads for
their Hummel figurines soon!

But then again, some people enjoy spam too! 8^)

- Mike -

Old December 2nd 03, 12:33 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Once again -- please read the guidelines to the rec.radio news groups
At URL:
http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/radio/personal-intro

It sez:
The swap group is rec.radio.swap. This recognizes a fact that became
evident shortly after the original group was formed: Hams don't just swap
ham radio gear, and other folks besides hams swap ham equipment. If you
have radio equipment, or test gear, or computer stuff that hams would be
interested in, here's the place. Equipment wanted postings belong here
too.

Discussions about the equipment generally don't; if you wish to
discuss a particular posting with the buyer, email is a much better way to
do it, and the other groups, especially .equipment and .homebrew, are the
place for public discussions.

73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Old December 2nd 03, 12:47 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

rec.radio.swap is the place to buy, sell, swap, note an auction and just plain give away stuff.

rec.radio.amateur.equipment is a forum to post info, questions, and answers about equipment -- such as performance, troubleshooting, operation etc --- NOT for buy, sell, swap, note an auction etc

Who sez so --- well to create order out of chaos -- guidelines were presented and adapted -- see URL:
http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/radio/personal-intro

Note it sez

"It's important to post messages to the group that's appropriate for them,
and not to the groups that aren't. The whole idea of having different
newsgroups is so that folks who aren't interested in, say, homebrewing,
don't have to wade through messages about homebrewing on the way to read
about Field Day. Posting appropriately is just good etiquette."

So does one have to obey the guidelines -- NO since the NG's are free and mostly unmoderated.
But do we want to wade thru hundreds of message which don't fit the NG subject ????

I for one and many others won't read a post when it is in the wrong NG.

Nuff sed

Old December 2nd 03, 01:45 AM
Ed G.

Hhhmmm, thought this group was rec.radio.amateur.equipment?
The FT-847 is amateur equiptment.
:-)

It is. "All about production amateur radio hardware" according to
newsgroup archive info. I believe the FAQ does state this, but the FAQ
for this newsgroup seems to be "mis-placed" on the official FAQ FTP site
at the moment. Bottom line... discussion, not FOR SALE postings. The
rec.radio.swap newgroup is for that, and it rediculously redundant to
post for sale items on any, or all, of the other amateur radio discussion
newsgroups.

Ed WB6SAT

Old December 2nd 03, 04:28 PM
Ham

This has been discussed to death in the past.

You and I and everybody else have NO POWER to control what will be
posted here and starting yet another round of complaints will do no good
and just overwhelm the posts of things we are interested in or feel are
the only things that should be allowed.

Why not cut THIS "crap" complaint and get on with more important things?

THIS DISCUSSION is worse than the FA posts and will likely take up more
time and bytes and energy than the FA posts. I guess I'll add this
subject to my filter and not have to bother seeing it.

As long as posters uses the requested FA or FA: for auctions and FS or
FS: and doesn't try to hide FA or FS items with a deceptive title, you
can use a filter and never see them.

If you don't have a way to filter out the FA and FS posts so you never
see them then use some other free news reader. Even my several year old
Netscape works fine to filter out "crap" posts like this and the fallout
that it'll generate.

If you're still using a simple text reader and your system won't run
more modern software just realize that's a problem you'll have to deal
with.

radioman wrote:

Why I ask?????????????????

Old December 2nd 03, 04:28 PM
Ham

[...]

radioman wrote:

Why I ask?????????????????

Old December 3rd 03, 04:16 AM
JJ

Ed G. wrote:

Hhhmmm, thought this group was rec.radio.amateur.equipment?
The FT-847 is amateur equiptment.
:-)

It is. "All about production amateur radio hardware" according to
newsgroup archive info. I believe the FAQ does state this, but the FAQ
for this newsgroup seems to be "mis-placed" on the official FAQ FTP site
at the moment. Bottom line... discussion, not FOR SALE postings. The
rec.radio.swap newgroup is for that, and it rediculously redundant to
post for sale items on any, or all, of the other amateur radio discussion
newsgroups.

Ed WB6SAT

Ebay sellers are responsible for the ruin of a lot of newsgroups. They
don't care about abiding by any FAQs or Charters, they just want to try
to dig another buck out of their auction.