Old January 6th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap

Default Kenwood TS-850 Knobs - Removal Techniques

Hi,

I have a Kenwood TS-850s and need to remove the knobs for a little
maintenance. They are on very tight and I'm afraid I'm going to
damage the pots/panel/knobs by removing them. Any removal techniques
that will minimize any damage would be appreciated.
Old January 6th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap

wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Kenwood TS-850s and need to remove the knobs for a little
maintenance. They are on very tight and I'm afraid I'm going to
damage the pots/panel/knobs by removing them. Any removal techniques
that will minimize any damage would be appreciated.

Lube the pots and shafts with light mineral oil and let it soak. Contact
cleaners with mineral oil are safer. Some Kenwood knobs have set screws.
Look under the rubber band on the main tuning knob, etc. A fork with one of
the tines missing might help to pry the others. Use cardboard on the face
to protect it. You just have to be careful not to mar things. Another way
on some models is to loosen the front panel and rock it. Sometimes the
metal inserts rust.

Old January 7th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap

On Jan 6, 12:42*pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have a Kenwood TS-850s and need to remove the knobs for a little
maintenance. *They are on very tight and I'm afraid I'm going to
damage the pots/panel/knobs by removing them. *Any removal techniques
that will minimize any damage would be appreciated.

If the knobs do not have a set screw, you might like to try this
method. I have used it many times over
the last five decades. Take a heavy thick cloth and slide it around
the knob, then twist the cloth to form
a clamp, pull with a rocking right to left or up and down motion.
Warning, you might need to get some help
holding the rig if very tight. This method has worked for me many
times. K4ZYF

Masterbation techniques [email protected] Antenna 0 August 25th 08 04:27 PM
High Voltage Techniques Bob Homebrew 5 July 16th 05 03:34 PM
Great introduction to HF techniques and practices KØHB Policy 12 June 16th 05 07:56 PM
Plumbing techniques on VHF Airy R. Bean Homebrew 13 August 15th 04 06:24 PM
Aluminum Corrosion Removal Techniques Paul Boatanchors 8 June 14th 04 07:15 AM