Old June 7th 05, 06:07 PM
KØHB

Default Great introduction to HF techniques and practices

For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

dit dit
de Hans, K0HB

Old June 8th 05, 01:00 AM
Jim Hampton

"KØHB" wrote in message
k.net...
For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

dit dit
de Hans, K0HB

Hello, Hans

Thanks for that URL. Great information. Sure has changed from back when,
eh?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 8th 05, 02:19 AM

From: "K-slant-bar-zero-HB" on Tues 7 Jun 2005 13:59

"K4YZ" wrote

The only callsigns issued by any of the Armed Forces for US
Amateurs are those issued by the Air Force for American's subject to
the US-Japan SOFA who are IN Japan.

Not true. US Amateurs in Japan are no longer assigned "KA#xx" callsigns. They
get their licenses from the Japanese government now (with callsigns in the
"foreigners" block "8J#xxx" IIRC).

??? How can that POSSIBLY be "true," Super Master Chief?

Do you realize you are correcting a "veteran of seven hostile
actions" who was also the ASSISTANT NCOIC of THE Okinawa
MARS 24 years ago?!? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

However, the US Navy does issue callsigns to amateurs at Antarctic Bases (ie,
KC4AAA, KC4AAC) and Guantanamo Bay (ie, KG4ML, KG4OX).

How about that. The Army MARS Hq callsign is NNN0AAA.

Does that appear in that Big Amateur Database at the FCC?

No? Sunnuvagun!

Oh, and thanks for that weblink at Harris Corporation's Tactical
Communications page. It was given out on paper form in 1996.
The second volume was prepared only a few years ago...but then
VHF and up isn't the proper playground for the HF Warriors,
is it? [Amateur Morsemen Warfighters to the Front...]

However, you should have made SOME mention of that informative
textbook "Now You're Talking!" from the ARRL which explains
it all...shouldn't you?

Excuse me while I go look up who used to post some phrase
about "gentlemen should not be disagreeable" or whatever it
was.

bit bit

Old June 8th 05, 02:20 AM
bb

K=D8HB wrote:
For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

dit dit
de Hans, K0HB

Harris Corporation is a military communications contractor.

A=2EF. Global Weather Central purchased a Harris transmitter to kick-off
the Weather HFRB (rtty, fax) System at Elkhorn, NE (AKA Giant Talk).

Harris Corp. built the Satellite Data Handling System at AFGWC.

Harris Corp. built the A.F. tactical DMSP ground set.

Harris Corp. transceivers were stuffed in racks in the Transportable
Automated Weather Distribution System (TAWDS).

But weathermen don't do comms. Hi!

Old June 8th 05, 03:19 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

dit dit
de Hans, K0HB

Tnx Hans, it's *definitely* a gotta-read.

w3rv

Old June 8th 05, 04:59 AM

From: "K-slant-bar-zero-HB" on Tues 7 Jun 2005 17:07

For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

"Alleged?!?" :-)

Anyone can go to www.harris.com, click on "tactical radio"
text-button on the main page and get to the page to select
their TWO tutorials on radio communication. Actually FOUR
since they have the same material in Spanish. :-)

Of course at the Harris site they require a "registry"
before the downloads can begin. One must be veddy
OFFICIAL about it all. :-) No problem for me, I got
both of them...the first volume is what I have on paper,
they second one I haven't seen. Well done material.

Newcomers ought to begin with "Now You're Talking"
shouldn't they? That's veddy official for amateurs.
We can't have any of that MILITARY comms stuff in here,
can we? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Going directly to the Harris site should be best considering
that ARRL in Newington has Harris transmitters for W1AW.
Ed Hare made a point of that in here over three years ago?
If Newington has authentic Harris transmitters, the Harris
website is therefore OFFICIAL for all hams.

Everbody get all ionized about the mighty HF ionosphere.
Beep, beep.

Old June 8th 05, 11:01 AM
K4YZ

From: "K-slant-bar-zero-HB" on Tues 7 Jun 2005 17:07

For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

"Alleged?!

Someone presnets a useful, informative bit of reference here,
Lennie, and all you can do is try to make an issue of the URL it came
from...?!?!

BBBWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
! ! ! ! ! !

Anyone can go to www.harris.com...(SNIP)

Yes, they can.

So why didn't you?

Of course at the Harris site they require a "registry"
before the downloads can begin. One must be veddy
OFFICIAL about it all. No problem for me, I got
both of them...the first volume is what I have on paper,
they second one I haven't seen. Well done material.

Now you're making fun of Harris?

Newcomers ought to begin with "Now You're Talking"
shouldn't they? That's veddy official for amateurs.
We can't have any of that MILITARY comms stuff in here,
can we? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

A swipe at ARRL where ARRL wasn't even mentioned...

Why am I (not) surprised...?!?!

Everbody get all ionized about the mighty HF ionosphere.

Last I read, the ionosphere has SOME efect on ALL forms of
electromagnetic radiation, Lennie...nes pax?

Beep, beep.

Gee...No " this time...Guess you wanted us to
forget that the Mighty Engineer missed some tidbit of technical
reference that was of some REAL use...not another one of your
retellings of the SINCGARS story you regale us with....

Putz.

Steve, K4YZ

Old June 12th 05, 05:29 AM
Michael A. Terrell

bb wrote:

KØHB wrote:
For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

dit dit
de Hans, K0HB

Harris Corporation is a military communications contractor.

A.F. Global Weather Central purchased a Harris transmitter to kick-off
the Weather HFRB (rtty, fax) System at Elkhorn, NE (AKA Giant Talk).

Harris Corp. built the Satellite Data Handling System at AFGWC.

Harris Corp. built the A.F. tactical DMSP ground set.

Harris Corp. transceivers were stuffed in racks in the Transportable
Automated Weather Distribution System (TAWDS).

But weathermen don't do comms. Hi!

Not to mention, Harris built the microwave receivers for NOAA, which are
being replaced by Microdyne/L-3com equipment.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old June 12th 05, 10:22 PM
bb

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bb wrote:

K=D8HB wrote:
For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

dit dit
de Hans, K0HB

Harris Corporation is a military communications contractor.

A.F. Global Weather Central purchased a Harris transmitter to kick-off
the Weather HFRB (rtty, fax) System at Elkhorn, NE (AKA Giant Talk).

Harris Corp. built the Satellite Data Handling System at AFGWC.

Harris Corp. built the A.F. tactical DMSP ground set.

Harris Corp. transceivers were stuffed in racks in the Transportable
Automated Weather Distribution System (TAWDS).

But weathermen don't do comms. Hi!

Not to mention, Harris built the microwave receivers for NOAA, which are
being replaced by Microdyne/L-3com equipment.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.
=20
Michael A. Terrell