Old January 29th 04, 11:38 PM
Gary P. Fiber

On 29 Jan 2004 09:01:37 -0800, (Derek
Toeppen) wrote:

Gary P. Fiber wrote in message . ..
Gary,

I am inclined to think you are correct. The battery only
supplies power to the CPU. Not an external memory. The CPU
has an EPROM window. So I think the radio programming is in
ROM. And the limited RAM inside the CPU only holds user
programmed frequenies.
But I could be wrong. It could hold calibration factors
or frequency range information for the PLL.

Have you tried this on an IC-735 yourself?

P.S. The current drain from the CPU must be very low. The
13 year old battery has a voltage of 2.946 volts under load.
Its still going strong.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:21:37 -0500, Nitespark
wrote:

NO The 735 battery only retains the programmed memories the operator
programmed it is not like the IC-745, 751, 751A, 76,1 R71A, 271A / H,
471A / H, 1271A , M700, M700TY where if the battery expires the
frequency set up for those transceivers goes away.

If the IC-735 battery dies all your programmed memory channels with
revert back to 28 MHz frequencies

Derek,

I worked for Icom America for 11 years until 2001 and yes I have
replaced the 735 lithium battery. As I said the only thing you will
loose is what you have programmed into the memory channels, so write
down what you have in those before proceeding. I would be inclined to
let it die and then replace it at that time.

I have never known an IC-735 that needed any sort of reprogramming
except for memory channels after you change the lithium battery.
there is not even a CPU reset that I remember on the IC-735. The other
transceivers I mentioned above are not the same and do use volatile
ram that is battery backed.

Gary K8IZ
Washington State Resident
Registered Linux User # 312991
Old January 30th 04, 07:30 AM
RDA

I just bought a mint 735- thanks for clarifying this, Gary!

Dave

Old January 30th 04, 07:30 AM
RDA

Old January 30th 04, 12:19 PM
Gary P. Fiber

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:30:29 GMT, "RDA"
wrote:

I just bought a mint 735- thanks for clarifying this, Gary!

Dave

Your are welcome.. The 735 was probably in its day one of the best
little transceivers made, seems there are over 40,000 of them out
there. The receiver many time out preformed the larger transceivers
in some contest situations. I meet a couple of people who were at P40V
in the winning station sometime in the 1986 to 1989 era. They had 2
radios connected on each band with a switching arrangement that
allowed one to take over the antenna if he heard something. Many times
those ops said the 735 was doing better than transceivers like the
751A and 761.

I am sure the newer DPS based boxes will do more, but the 735 is no
slouch. Enjoy it.

Old January 30th 04, 05:04 PM
Derek Toeppen

Gary P. Fiber wrote in message . ..

Gary,

Thank you for clarifying this issue.

Based on this information, I think I will stop worrying
about the battery. When I loss the memories I will
know its time to replace it. Based on its current voltage,
that could be a number of years yet. Which means many
more trouble free years from the radio.

Derek Toeppen, WA0ZTI