Old May 22nd 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Ford 'Solar Tint' Glass and Glass-Mount Antenna?

Hi all,

I have a 99 Ford Escort with a back window marked as 'Ford Solar
Tint'. It has a defroster in it as well. I was hoping to mount a
small though-glass antenna for APRS use on 2m, but I don't know if it
would be possible with that glass. Anyone have any experience with
this?

Thanks.
Old May 23rd 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

dave wrote in
m:

wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 99 Ford Escort with a back window marked as 'Ford Solar
Tint'. It has a defroster in it as well. I was hoping to mount a
small though-glass antenna for APRS use on 2m, but I don't know if it
would be possible with that glass. Anyone have any experience with
this?

Thanks.

Here are some comments from the FAQ on Larson glass mount antennas,
taken from:
http://www.larsen-antennas.com/techref_faqs.shtml

Ed K7AAT

A: Glass mount antennas are easy to install and do not require drilling a
hole. Just be sure the antenna is mounted high up on the glass and not
over defogger wires or on reflective window tint as this could impede
performance.

Tint: Various tints affect the dielectric constant causing a higher VSWR,
poor reception or no performance.

Do not mount antenna on any dark tinted area or on an area where an after
market tinting film has been applied.

Glass Mount Antenna Richard Antenna 2 August 5th 08 02:38 AM
glass mount antenna sapper Antenna 6 November 22nd 06 02:50 AM
Through-Glass Antenna/Ford Taurus JLB Antenna 69 April 9th 04 01:04 AM
Antenna: Glass mount or ? Stix Equipment 10 September 21st 03 11:14 AM
Antenna: Glass mount or ? Stix Equipment 0 September 19th 03 09:49 PM