Old February 21st 04, 11:13 AM
virginia

Default FT 857 Audio

I have a FT 857 with superb audio on FM but with very toppy audio on SSB.
Furthermore, I'm unable to get it to modulate the output (on SSB) beyond
approx 70 watts - and that's with an uncomfortable level of voice volume. I
have two other transceivers that have no problem fully driving the output
to 100w at a comfortable level of voice. Measurements have been done with a
calibrated power meter and dummy load.

My SSB mic gain control is set at 60 - to go beyond that introduces a
muffling effect. My speech processor is set at 40 and an increase on that
causes further deterioration in the audio quality. I have the LPF enabled to
emphasise the lower frequencies. The DSP optional unit is fitted.

Is there anyone out there who has had similar problems and found a cure?
Would appreciate the advice!

Virginia.