Old December 14th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Help with MFJ-1786 Control Box, Please.

Lightning damage to an MFJ-1786 control box. Looking for a schematic.
Thanks.

Can't get a response from MFJ.

Merry Christmas all,

w9nm
at
sbcglobal
dot
net

Old December 14th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Not an unusual response, I requested a schematic for the MFJ "parrot"
repeater, I was met with a deafening silence too, but a repeat request
elicited the following response:

"The information you have requested is not available."

No explanation, but I guess Martin F Jue is entitled to hold back what he
considers "proprietary information".

Happy Christmas to all and a very health and happy new year!

73
John
VK2KC

Old December 15th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Thanks for the reply, John.

Well my response is a little different. Something like, "We haven't done
anything yet.... reapply."

I really don't have the time, but I guess I will start tracing out the
circuit.

73,
Emil
W9NM

Old December 16th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Hello.com wrote:
Lightning damage to an MFJ-1786 control box. Looking for a schematic.
Thanks.

Can't get a response from MFJ.

Merry Christmas all,

w9nm
at
sbcglobal
dot
net

I have the MFJ-1782, unfortunately also without schematic. However in
reading the warranty terms MFJ appears to be generous in technical
assistance for DIY repairs under warranty. Why not give them a call
again and see what they can do in your situation.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo ;-P
Old December 16th 09, 05:34 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello.com View Post
Lightning damage to an MFJ-1786 control box. Looking for a schematic.
Thanks.

Can't get a response from MFJ.

Merry Christmas all,

w9nm
at
sbcglobal
dot
net
I have always heard part of the 'fun' of Amateur Radio, is self instruction. Since the MFJ-1786 Manual is readibly downloaded from several source; and the fact it goes into very detailed 'theory of operation', you probably don't really need a schematic drawing. Rather than a schematic, I'd suggest appealing to users, for someone to take good [and multiple] digital photos, then you can use them as a 'pictorial', and compare to your unit. Someone said 'a picture is worth a thousand words' ; and they can help, if you actually do a reverse engineering, and produce a schematic.

Old December 16th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

To me, the fun part is designing and scratch building equipment several
orders of magnitude past this MFJ Box. I took my Amateur Radio exams when
one was required to draw schematics and write answers to essay questions and
actual use equations... that was during my freshman year in high school, and
about a month later I passed my 1st Class Commercial with Ship-Radar and
Radiotelegraph Endorsements. Actually, do to circumstances of 'life', when
I have let my tickets lapse, I've probably retested for Commercial and
Amateur Extra 4 or 5 times each over the years. And... I had to walk 30
miles (one way) to Chicago to the FCC Field Office... up hill, both
directions.

The context of the MFJ control box, to me, is the same as my kitchen AM
radio. If it doesn't work, I want to fix it, expeditiously, and be on my
way. There really isn't 'detailed' theory to deal with in the MFJ Box or my
AM Radio that was not covered in my high school Physics Class many many
years ago... of course today, it my seem complicated to many. Those
multiple choice questions are a real killer... you need to read over the
pre-published answers. Is that 'reverse engineering'?

There is nothing secret or revolutionary about the MFJ control box. After
using the box for 10 seconds it is manifestly apparent how the circuitry
functions. I do not have the time to waste tracing PC board foil, removing
and bridging components to find there values, let alone dealing with parts
that don't have a trade-standard part number. If that is exciting to you...
I guess everyone has their own particular level of abilities.

Plodding along, hit or miss, hoping to stumble across the defective
component(s) is the type of endeavor I'll leave to others.

Why in the world would I appeal to anyone for pictures when I have the
actual device sitting on my work bench? The components that had an physical
anomaly associated with their defective condition have been replaced.

A picture is worth a thousand words if it is a schematic... and worth much
more than that if it is valid set of equations.

If I need some "Already been done." electronic' stimulation I can page
through my Patents, EE Degree Thesis, books and papers, equipment I have
designed and constructed, and patents granted and denied.

My preference is for new projects under way... finding another original
project... or, for that matter... just sit down at the key and spend an
evening on the CW sub-bands. I'll leave the reverse-engineering to others
that are much more easily satisfied with that type of thing. My appliances,
however, I want a schematic and parts list... and be on the road again as
quickly as possible.

Hey... thanks for your comments... but I'm ONLY looking for a SCHEMATIC...
not a lecture or assumptions concerning my technical knowledge.

Emil

Old December 16th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joe, thanks. I may give it one more try. Frankly, I've got more time
invested in this toy than is warranted for a stand-by... use with
experimental projects... type of antenna.

If I can set aside some time this winter, I may build a proper, vector
measuring, controller for the loop. As I look around the bench, I can see
just about everything I need, except for a few toroid cores that will need
winding... not on list of favorites to do right now... the older I get, the
less I am enamored of programming in assembly language. However, I still
have a pile of PICs sitting around and feel obligated to use one or two on
something from time to time... if I can shoe-horn one into a project.

If I can get a schematic I'll let you know.
Merry Christmas,
Emil

"RFI-EMI-GUY" wrote in message
g.com...

MFJ 1786 High Q Loop Steve Antenna 1 December 19th 07 02:34 PM
ft 990 cat control? denton Equipment 0 February 27th 05 01:42 AM
MFJ 1786 magnetic loop vandmand Antenna 13 July 11th 04 03:12 AM
Q: DC motor for MFJ-1786. Vandmand Antenna 3 May 22nd 04 07:21 AM
Geo jr out of control WA3MOJ CB 6 April 23rd 04 06:23 PM