Old May 29th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default FT-290R - LSB no output on any band?

Hello all,

Just bought an old Mk1 FT-s 290R. All is working well (even the back
light)! but when I switch from USB to LSB the background noise drops
on receive and no output is obtained into a dummy load or any movement
indicated on the rigs own meter?

I may delve in tonight and apply some switch cleaner just in case, any
one experienced anything similar I wonder?

Any help gratefully appreciated .

Thanks

Paul - g0VHT

Old May 29th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
You You is offline

In article
,
Paul wrote:

Hello all,

Just bought an old Mk1 FT-s 290R. All is working well (even the back
light)! but when I switch from USB to LSB the background noise drops
on receive and no output is obtained into a dummy load or any movement
indicated on the rigs own meter?

I may delve in tonight and apply some switch cleaner just in case, any
one experienced anything similar I wonder?

Any help gratefully appreciated .

Thanks

Paul - g0VHT

Look to see if the LSB IF Local OSC's isn't working...
Old May 29th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article
,
Paul wrote:

Just bought an old Mk1 FT-s 290R. All is working well (even the back
light)! but when I switch from USB to LSB the background noise drops
on receive and no output is obtained into a dummy load or any movement
indicated on the rigs own meter?

Paul-

I'm not familiar with the 290R. Sideband selection is often done by
switching between local oscillator crystals. It may be a bad crystal, a
dirty switch, or possibly a problem with a diode switching circuit.

If the USB and LSB crystals happen to be plug-in, you could try swapping
them to see if the problem swaps or stays at the same switch position.

Fred
K4DII
Old May 29th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Paul wrote:
Just bought an old Mk1 FT-s 290R. All is working well (even the back
light)! but when I switch from USB to LSB the background noise drops
on receive and no output is obtained into a dummy load or any movement
indicated on the rigs own meter?

Not sure I'd really get too worried about it.

Maybe things are different in the UK but there is essentially zero activity on LSB on 2 meters over here in the States -- *everyone* uses upper sideband.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Old May 30th 10, 07:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On May 29, 8:39*pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article
,

*Paul wrote:
Just bought an old Mk1 FT-s 290R. All is working well (even the back
light)! but when I switch from USB to LSB the background noise drops
on receive and no output is obtained into a dummy load or any movement
indicated on the rigs own meter?

Paul-

I'm not familiar with the 290R. *Sideband selection is often done by
switching between local oscillator crystals. *It may be a bad crystal, a
dirty switch, or possibly a problem with a diode switching circuit.

If the USB and LSB crystals happen to be plug-in, you could try swapping
them to see if the problem swaps or stays at the same switch position.

Fred
K4DII

Thanks for your reply Fred. I plan taking 'the old lady' apart tonight
and will work through some of your suggestions. Hopefully it won't be
too difficult to trace the fault.

Many thanks

Paul - g0vht
Old May 30th 10, 10:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

sorry-spammers "" wrote:
Paul wrote:
Just bought an old Mk1 FT-s 290R. All is working well (even the back
light)! but when I switch from USB to LSB the background noise drops
on receive and no output is obtained into a dummy load or any movement
indicated on the rigs own meter?

Not sure I'd really get too worried about it.

Maybe things are different in the UK but there is essentially zero activity on LSB on 2 meters over here in the States -- *everyone* uses upper sideband.

The only thing you need LSB for is working a mode-B satellite transponder.

I think the problem is located in or around the sideband oscillator (Q1013).
It could be the LSB sideband crystal (X01) or the circuitry that switches
the crystals.
First check the "LSB +6.8v" line. If it does not work, it would be the
mode switch. I would not apply any "switch cleaner" before checking this.

When this signal is OK, check if the diode is still ok. I think the most
likely failure is in the crystal X01. That would probably not be worth
the trouble to replace, except if you want satellite operation.
Old May 30th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Hi Rob and all,

FYI - I am using the rig with a Toko HF-240 transverter hence my need
for LSB!

Never mind, its now working! I opened the rig up earlier today, did
some basic checks, nothing obvious - applied switch cleaner to the
mode switch - no change, tapped the relevant crystals (gently), no
change so I left things as they were and put the rig back in my car.

Funny thing was the Velcro holding the rig to the dashboard came loose
and the rig fell 12 inches or so to the floor - low and behold no
damage to the rig but LSB fired back into life! Not sure how long it
will stay this way but it does give a clue to the problem in the first
place.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.

Paul - g0vht