Old June 28th 10, 11:52 PM
Junior Member

Default Help? I need inductor value or schematic for Uniden BC 50XL scanner....thanks

Hello. New poster here. I have a Uniden BC 50xl scanner (low-end, 10 channel). I am new to the hobby, but have some electronic repair experience.

There is an inductor connecting the antenna (center conductor of the ant. BNC) to the main PCB. It has been destroyed and rendered unidentifiable in my unit. It was a mechanical failure (the component separated and lost the color coded paint).

Might someone have a circuit diagramme for this unit? Alternatively, if anyone has one of these units, would you please open your unit and tell me the color code or value for this inductor?

Much thanks.....................-huck
Old June 29th 10, 08:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Huck wrote:

Hello. New poster here. I have a Uniden BC 50xl scanner (low-end, 10
channel). I am new to the hobby, but have some electronic repair
experience.

There is an inductor connecting the antenna (center conductor of the
ant. BNC) to the main PCB. It has been destroyed and rendered
unidentifiable in my unit. It was a mechanical failure (the component
separated and lost the color coded paint).

Might someone have a circuit diagramme for this unit? Alternatively,
if anyone has one of these units, would you please open your unit and
tell me the color code or value for this inductor?

Much thanks.....................-huck

It is unlikely that there is an inductor at that point.
It probably is a capacitor.

How did you identify it as an inductor? Is there lots of wire in it?
Old June 29th 10, 06:39 PM
Junior Member

Hi Rob, and thanks for your reply.

I believe it was an inductor because it was an axial-lead component resembling a resistor (epoxy painted, with color code bands), except that the color of the base paint was bright neon green, rather than tan.

It was soldered directly to the center terminal of the BNC, and on the other end, to the PCB.

When the scanner stopped receiving, I opened the unit and found the component had separated, with the paint in bits scattered about and unreadable.

It did have a bit of fine wire in it. Unfortunately, after I de-soldered the remains, I lost them. I have done quite a lot of searching on the internet, as well as within this forum. As yet, I have been unsuccessful. I believe the unit was fairly popular, so I'm surprised that a schematic for it is so elusive.
Old June 30th 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Huck wrote:

'Rob[_8_ Wrote:
;711385']Huck wrote:--huck-

[...]

It probably doesn't matter what you put there.
Use a plain wire, or when there is suspicion that it might have been
a capacitor then use a small ceramic cap of 100pF..1nF.
You will not notice any difference in performance either way, but it
could be there was a capacitor there to block DC.
Old June 30th 10, 04:14 PM
Junior Member

Thank you for your input.

I will try a straight connection with a bit of wire.

-huck

Old June 30th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Huck wrote:

Thank you for your input.

I will try a straight connection with a bit of wire.

-huck

You also need to check if the connector has come loose, I think
it it rotating in its mounting hole which has destroyed the
unidentified component.