Old April 6th 04, 04:15 PM
Moody1951

Roger, you're right. I am stupid. Thank you for so kindly for pointing that
out. We all need more "Elmers" like you.
Old April 6th 04, 04:49 PM
J Shrum

Lou,
I do agree... I understand that many folks study just the bare minimum to
get that "2meter CB ticket" and thats it. But I don't agree w/ the public
tongue lashing...

Ok, I'm done...

"Lou" wrote in message
While I do not claim superiority in my knowledge, I must wonder myself
sometimes about those with a license. I know one person who doesn't know
what a "ground" symbol looks like in a schematic - and "that" is one of

the
"basic"questions on the exams. I know another who has no clue what a

"fuse"
does. Now, "that" is sad. Calculations? Even when learned, some do have

math
problems - to some extent, I can understand that. Learning formulas and
being able to do them, is not always the same.. Sounds contradictory I

know,
but I've seen that myself a few times. It amazes me sometimes..... Hell, I
know people who don't know the resistor color code, can't figure out
resistors in series or parallel, etc. "All" or any of the things they
learned to get their license.
Most people just do what it takes to get a license. Once they start

yakking,
they lose the knowledge from lack of use of it. Even that is hard to

fathom
considering the many technical chats one would tend to hear. YEP! It sure

is
hard to imagine, but it is true........ sad but true! Lou

"J Shrum" wrote in message
Damn Roger... It must be really tough being so superior.

"Roger Conroy" wrote in message

"Moody1951" wrote in message
Please help me out with the math. What is the length of a 5/8s

wavelength
2
meter antenna? I've got something that might be able to be cut to

the
freq.

Thanks

Lets assume you want a center frequency of 146 megahertz...

300/146=2.057945m (round it to nearest mm 2.058m)
2.058/8=0.25725m
0.25725x5=1.28625m (round it to nearest mm 1.286m)

Now I have a few questions...

How the ^%$#(*&$ do you get to even own a 2m radio without knowing how

do
this ELEMENTARY calculation? Do you have a licence? Have you learnt
absolutely nothing? This formula is the first one in the book together

with
Ohm's Law!

73
Roger ZR3RC

Old April 6th 04, 05:04 PM
Hamguy

Geez...maybe he'll convert this over to U.S. measurement!

"Moody1951" wrote in message
Please help me out with the math. What is the length of a 5/8s

wavelength
2
meter antenna? I've got something that might be able to be cut to the

freq.

Thanks

Lets assume you want a center frequency of 146 megahertz...

300/146=2.057945m (round it to nearest mm 2.058m)
2.058/8=0.25725m
0.25725x5=1.28625m (round it to nearest mm 1.286m)

Now I have a few questions...

How the ^%$#(*&$ do you get to even own a 2m radio without knowing how to

Old April 6th 04, 06:08 PM

Ok lets start this over again

Hi Moody,

The ansewr to your question, if you intend to use it on the upper portion of
the band (tuned to 146Mhz) would be 48.12 inches.

Aside from your asking antenna question here, also check out the ARRL
Handbook, as you will find the answers to simple questions, others get
annoyed at LOL

also visit the http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/antenna.htm website.

As far as the point you expressed Bob, I agree with you somewhat. Not all
Techs dont know anything. I have spoken to many Advanced/Extra that cant
figure out the length of a dipole for 40m, or how to program the memory in
the 2m radio. Even go as far as "you are not on frequency, and you dont need
to say over on a repeater". Now it makes me made when, me being a Tech needs
to answer these questions

Take in to the account of why many join the ham ranks. Not all are technical
minded people, or not yet atleast

73

Steve KC2GOG

Old April 6th 04, 06:33 PM
Evan Platt

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:27:58 +0200, "Roger Conroy"
wrote:

Now I have a few questions...

How the ^%$#(*&$ do you get to even own a 2m radio without knowing how to do
this ELEMENTARY calculation? Do you have a licence? Have you learnt
absolutely nothing? This formula is the first one in the book together with
Ohm's Law!

Perhaps he took the test over a year ago, has only been using a HT,
and is now wanting to get into mobile use?

Let me ask you a few questions:

How far in advance of a turn are you required to use your turn signal?

What is the maximum distance you may enter a bike lane prior to making
a turn?

You may use your hi beams if a car coming towards you is more than
____ feet away, or if a car is in front of you in the same direction
as you, more than _____ feet away.

Gee, you don't know? How the &*^#*$@ did you get your drivers license?

Get the point?

Evan

Old April 6th 04, 07:14 PM
Moody1951

Roger. Realize. It's just a hobby. Don't chase em' away.