Old April 6th 04, 07:14 PM
Moody1951

Roger. Realize. It's just a hobby. Don't chase em' away.
Old April 6th 04, 09:40 PM
Lou

"Moody1951" wrote in message
Roger. Realize. It's just a hobby. Don't chase em' away.

Heck no, don't chase them, EDUCATE them. Asking questions, isn't stupid.. it
is the unasked question and the assumption thereof which is stupid. Lou

Old April 6th 04, 09:40 PM
Lou

Old April 7th 04, 12:29 AM
Ralph Mowery

"Moody1951" wrote in message
Please help me out with the math. What is the length of a 5/8s wavelength

2
meter antenna? I've got something that might be able to be cut to the

freq.

Others have given you the length. They failed to mention that the impedance
is not 50 ohms and you must match that to the coax/rig. You will have to
research that for yourself, but usually a coil is used in series with the
antenna at the base of it.

Old April 7th 04, 01:12 AM
Marty

"Moody1951" wrote in message
Roger, you're right. I am stupid. Thank you for so kindly for pointing

that
out. We all need more "Elmers" like you.

Whilst he could've been a little more 'tactful', you must admit that it was
a question that any newcomer studying for their licence should've known, let
alone someone actually in the hobby....

But, that's just my opinion...

Martin, VK2UMJ

Old April 7th 04, 03:04 AM
Gary S.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:29:45 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Moody1951" wrote in message
Please help me out with the math. What is the length of a 5/8s wavelength

2
meter antenna? I've got something that might be able to be cut to the

freq.

Others have given you the length. They failed to mention that the impedance
is not 50 ohms and you must match that to the coax/rig. You will have to
research that for yourself, but usually a coil is used in series with the
antenna at the base of it.

Also relevant:

The calculated length is close, but factors like material type,
thickness, etc, mean that the actual length could be a little
different. Electrical length is what counts, not physical.

Best bet is to take the calculated length as mentioned earlier, add a
little bit, and cut to that greater length. Then test the antenna with
an SWR meter, trim a little shorter, and test again to optimize SWR
across the band of interest. You will never hit 1:1 (more of a
theoretical goal) but below 1:1.5 across the 2M band is fine.

Start your testing at a low power, until you know the SWR is below
1:2.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old April 7th 04, 03:40 AM
Ed G

Damn Roger... It must be really tough being so superior.

I was wondering if the glass is half full, or is it half empty?

Ed