Old April 6th 04, 06:23 AM
Moody1951

Default What is the length of a 5/8s wavelength 2 meter antenna?

Please help me out with the math. What is the length of a 5/8s wavelength 2
meter antenna? I've got something that might be able to be cut to the freq.

Thanks
Old April 6th 04, 08:27 AM
Roger Conroy

"Moody1951" wrote in message
Please help me out with the math. What is the length of a 5/8s wavelength

2
meter antenna? I've got something that might be able to be cut to the

freq.

Thanks

Lets assume you want a center frequency of 146 megahertz...

300/146=2.057945m (round it to nearest mm 2.058m)
2.058/8=0.25725m
0.25725x5=1.28625m (round it to nearest mm 1.286m)

Now I have a few questions...

How the ^%$#(*&$ do you get to even own a 2m radio without knowing how to do
this ELEMENTARY calculation? Do you have a licence? Have you learnt
absolutely nothing? This formula is the first one in the book together with
Ohm's Law!

73
Roger ZR3RC

Old April 6th 04, 02:07 PM
Incognito

Neat calculator at URL:
http://www.geocities.com/kk5hy/calc.html

You can cut it for hi, lo, or mid band

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

Old April 6th 04, 04:07 PM
Lou

While I do not claim superiority in my knowledge, I must wonder myself
sometimes about those with a license. I know one person who doesn't know
what a "ground" symbol looks like in a schematic - and "that" is one of the
"basic"questions on the exams. I know another who has no clue what a "fuse"
does. Now, "that" is sad. Calculations? Even when learned, some do have math
problems - to some extent, I can understand that. Learning formulas and
being able to do them, is not always the same.. Sounds contradictory I know,
but I've seen that myself a few times. It amazes me sometimes..... Hell, I
know people who don't know the resistor color code, can't figure out
resistors in series or parallel, etc. "All" or any of the things they
learned to get their license.
Most people just do what it takes to get a license. Once they start yakking,
they lose the knowledge from lack of use of it. Even that is hard to fathom
considering the many technical chats one would tend to hear. YEP! It sure is
hard to imagine, but it is true........ sad but true! Lou

Old April 6th 04, 04:15 PM
Moody1951

Roger, you're right. I am stupid. Thank you for so kindly for pointing that
out. We all need more "Elmers" like you.