Old April 16th 04, 03:59 AM
Fumper

Default Need info--What HT have the broadest trans/rec capibilities?

What walkie has the broadest / best trans / recieve capabilities?
Thanx Steve
Old April 16th 04, 07:05 AM
Michael Brandt

Hi Fumper,

What kind of HT's are you inquiring about? Citizen's Band
walkie-talkies or real amateur radio HT's? Need to know
before can give you an informed answer..

Best regards,

KA0PWW

Old April 16th 04, 11:58 PM
Steve Nosko

wrote in message
On 16 Apr 2004 02:59:40 GMT, (Fumper) wrote:

What walkie has the broadest / best trans / recieve capabilities?
Thanx Steve

I chose the Yaesu VX-5R because it was *almost* the broadest... the VX-7R
was, by my standards, but the audio quality suffered.

... VX-7R
- transmitting on 6m, 2m, 1.25m (300mw only, sorry) and 70cm
- dual receive
- receive 0.5-999mHz
(729-800 and cellular blocked in US, cellular blocked for non-US version)

I have the Kenwood TH-F6A Played with my son's and couldn't resist.
Pretty much will receive anything, but don't know how it compares with the
VX-7R. Just don't expect a high performance front end. It is very
sensitive, but has pretty low third order...will die downtown Chicago.
- Tx on 2m, 222 & 440 == 0.05, 1 & 5W. all bands
- Dual Rx
- RX 0.100 MHz - 1300 MHz !
- AM full range, CW USB/LSB(below 470 MHz), FM(Above 27MHz),
WFM(Above 50MHz)
- 399 memories

I have the local VHF/UHF TV audio, FRS, AM & FM broadcast CB19, O'hare
Approach control, Unicom, WWV, CHU and the local 903 and 1296 beacons with,
of course, the local public service and good ole' ham repeaters. NO, it
doesn't do trunking (:-)
Take the battery off and hardly anything is left!

THIS is what they USED to call "General Coverage" not "wide band". To me
"wide band" is a description of the receiver filters, not the tuning range.
When was this re-defined???

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old April 17th 04, 01:52 AM
Howard

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:58:17 -0500, "Steve Nosko"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

The term got redifined when the marketeers were looking for a new way
to entice us potential buyers. To take your comment a step further,
the range of the TH-F6A is, in my thinking,"Extended Coverage" - but
then again, we both seem to be a step behind current definitions.

For my taste, the VX-5R wasn't the ticket as it didn't have 'full HF'
coverage and in my area 220 is more useful than 6 meters. The added
modes (sidebands & cw) were also an enticement as it allows me to
monitor MIL air & other utes - though not with the duckie 8-} Didn't
look at the VX-7R as the 220 is only 300 mw and frankly, I don't like
the cosmetics - not saying it's a bad radio, just didn't fit my taste.
If 220 isn't a concern and you feel the HF coverage on the VX-5R is
sufficient my recommendation would be to save the $100 over the
Kenwood. I own both Yaesu and Kenwood equipment and have no horror
stories from either in terms of performance and durability.

Any info on WJ-8690 Receiver? al Boatanchors 1 July 11th 04 12:14 PM
Info Please Military RBS Receiver patgkz Boatanchors 0 March 11th 04 11:52 AM
info wanted:K6EKH linear amp Steve Equipment 0 February 7th 04 03:15 AM
Info needed Scanman Boatanchors 0 January 10th 04 10:44 PM
Gotham Antenna info needed Keyboard In The Wilderness Antenna 4 December 5th 03 04:09 PM