Old January 26th 11, 04:29 PM
Junior Member

Location: Central, NY
Default HT Batteries

I'm studying for my tech license and I'm thinking of buying an HT to carry with me on hunting trips. I'll want to use the best/longest lasting batteries that I can. What are your opinions of the various batteries available?
Old January 30th 11, 12:22 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post
I'm studying for my tech license and I'm thinking of buying an HT to carry with me on hunting trips. I'll want to use the best/longest lasting batteries that I can. What are your opinions of the various batteries available?
In my opinion - that is kind of over kill.
You can buy a decent bubble pack GMRS Motorola radio for under $120 a set.

You must remember that reception for UHF is line of sight and unless you have a clear view of the repeater and permission to use it - your handi talkie is not going to transmit or receive any further then a $40 Motorola walkie talkie in the woods.
The trees absorb the signals and the signals will not go up one hill and down the next - nor will it shine up over one mountain and down the next.

The limitations are the size of the battery, the size of the antenna - since all signals reduce at the square of the distance away from the transmitter.

Most of those radios do not come with a 16 inch antenna which is what it would need for the bare minimum amount of transmit and receive power on those frequencies.
Old January 30th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Eneloop rechargeable NiMHs are hard to beat: http://us.sanyo.com/Battery-Products
Also NiZn cells: http://www.powergenix.com/?q=products

73
Glenn AA5PK

--
Bob S.

Old January 30th 11, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In Bob S.
wrote:

I'm studying for my tech license and I'm thinking of buying an HT to
carry with me on hunting trips. I'll want to use the best/longest
lasting batteries that I can. What are your opinions of the various
batteries available?

If you're in the field away from commercial power, you'll either need carry
a stock of alkaline batteries (and make sure you have a battery pack for
your HT that can take them), or have some other way to charge whatever sort
of rechargeable cells you choose.

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN

HT-600 Batteries Hunchy Swap 0 November 23rd 07 06:13 PM
FS: XTS batteries [email protected] Swap 1 July 6th 05 12:04 PM
FS Batteries cl Swap 2 April 5th 05 04:12 AM
FS Batteries cl Swap 0 April 1st 05 12:25 AM
VX-1R and VX-2R BATTERIES? AL Scanner 1 February 6th 04 09:26 PM