Old October 11th 04, 04:00 PM
Mad Dog

Default SWR meter and tuner for mobile HF

I am using a 706 MKIIG in the truck and i would like to use
a HF SWR meter because the transceiver does not have a SWR
function for HF only VHF.
I am building the mobile station 1 piece at a time while acquiring
my General class license and would value your opinions on the
most practical SWR meter and antenna tuner for use on 1.8-30Mhz
A SWR meter/antenna tuner that includes 2-meter would simplify
things greatly.
I am presently using a Diamond tri-bander on the VHF side.
I have been switching beween a 20 meter and 40 meter hamstick
while monitoring the HF side and listening to the CW broadcasts nightly.
I have looked at the MFJ lineup and really appreciate a compact unit that
is both durable and rugged because i travel the country in a KW W900L.
The antenna tuner will be used to put the finishing touch on the hamsticks
and finish tune the tri-bander.
I hope i furnished enough info to base your opinions on and
thanx n advance.
--
KG4LBD

Old October 11th 04, 05:47 PM
Dick

You have that backward. The SWR meter only functions on ANT 1 which
is HF/50. It does not function on VHF or UHF.

Dick - W6CCD

Old October 11th 04, 07:04 PM
Fred McKenzie

I am building the mobile station 1 piece at a time while acquiring
my General class license and would value your opinions on the
most practical SWR meter and antenna tuner for use on 1.8-30Mhz
A SWR meter/antenna tuner that includes 2-meter would simplify
things greatly.

George-

I have the older IC-706, and I'm fairly sure it has an SWR function, at least
on HF.

Most VHF/UHF antennas will cover the band without a tuner.

I have found that the Hamstick antenna is fairly broad, so if you tune it for
the center of 20 Meters, it should be close enough for the entire band without
a tuner.

The 40 Meter Hamstick is not so broad. If you want to use it on both SSB and
CW, then you will need a tuner. Without a tuner, it may cover the General
Class portion of SSB, but barely. (The 75 Meter version may not cover the
entire band, even with a tuner!)

Any of the MFJ small tuners should work. However, you would have to transmit
full power (AM, FM or CW mode) to accomplish tuning the way it comes. Look
into the "BET 706 tune control", available from AES for $33, although you may
be able to find construction details on the web. This device lets you generate
a low power signal for use while adjusting your SWR.

I have the Icom AT-180, which works well through 6 Meters. To me it was worth
it not to have to fuss with a manual tuner, but it is a bit pricey. If I was
shopping for one now, I'd look into the recent MFJ auto tuners.

73, Fred, K4DII

SWR meter kaput? Thomas Antenna 5 August 13th 04 06:44 PM
FA: $9.99 MURA CBT-35 SWR/POWER METER w/built-in TUNER RLucch2098 Equipment 0 August 10th 04 02:33 PM
FA: $9.99 MURA CBT-35 SWR/POWER METER w/built-in TUNER RLucch2098 Equipment 0 August 10th 04 02:33 PM
FA: $9.99 MURA CBT-35 SWR/POWER METER w/built-in TUNER RLucch2098 Equipment 0 August 10th 04 02:33 PM
FA: MFJ 949E Deluxe Versa Tuner II Dual Meter Antenna Tuner Joel Levine and Barbara Pickell Boatanchors 0 March 1st 04 01:41 AM