Old October 24th 04, 10:41 PM
BFoelsch

Default Grid Dip Meters

Does anybody here have any honest-to-goodness experience with Grid Dip
Meters?

I have an old Heath HD-1250, which is a solid state equivalent, and I have
never been convinced that it works well. Seems like the dips are vague,
unless coupling to the circuit is awfully tight.

Anyway, looking for opinions, or preferably facts, as to which grid dip
meters are the good ones and why.

Thanks in advance.

Old October 25th 04, 02:33 AM
Fred McKenzie

I have an old Heath HD-1250, which is a solid state equivalent, and I have
never been convinced that it works well. Seems like the dips are vague,
unless coupling to the circuit is awfully tight.

BF-

How tight is tight?

I think my newer GDO is the HD-1250, but I haven't touched it in several years.
I also have the old GD-1B. As I recall, they do have to be coupled fairly
tightly. Once you find the dip, you should be able to back away some and get a
more "accurate" dip. Tight coupling seems to pull the oscillator's frequency
somewhat.

It is also possible to use them in an absorption mode, where energy from an
energized circuit will deflect the meter when it is tuned to the frequency.
Have you tried that mode?

73, Fred, K4DII

Old October 25th 04, 02:38 AM
Dave Platt

I have an old Heath HD-1250, which is a solid state equivalent, and I have
never been convinced that it works well. Seems like the dips are vague,
unless coupling to the circuit is awfully tight.

I have one of those (eBay purchase as of a couple of years ago) and I
agree with your assessment. The oscillator is fairly weak, I think,
and you need very tight coupling to get a significant dip... and of
course the tight coupling tends to perturb the circuit being measured.

The dip-meter attachment for the MJF antenna analyzer isn't much better.

I've heard that the James Millen dipmeter is somewhat better, but not
great.

If you can manage to get your hands on a Measurements Inc. ("Boonton")
tube-powered grid dip meter, I think you'll find that it's another
bushel of peas entirely. It's big, a bit clumsy (the oscillator head
alone is almost half the size of the HD-1250, plus a desktop power
supply and meter), and it may need to have its tubes replaced, but WOW
does it ever dip! I used a test coil and cap combination to test it -
with the HD-1250 the dipper coil had to be held inside the test coil
to couple well enough, while with the Boonton I got a very usable dip
with the dipper coil 3-4" away on axis!

B&W also made a grid dip meter, with an acorn-tube oscillator (similar
to the one used in the Boonton) which might be worth a look.

Keep your eyes peeled for one of these old firebottle-powered GDMs at
local hamfests!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old October 25th 04, 02:50 AM
Steve

There was a very useful article in a recent issue of QST about
dip meters. Anyone with a GDO should read it!

The depth and width of the 'dip' is a function of the Q of the
circuit. Some GDO's are not very sensitive, and that may be the
case with yours. If you have an oscillator coil out of an old
AM radio, put a good quality cap (mica) across it and see
how your GDO works with it. You should be able to get a
good dip with your GDO coil about 0.5" away..

Steve W6SSP