Old December 7th 04, 06:42 PM
Me

In article ,
Dave Bushong wrote:

Me wrote:
In article ,
Dave Bushong wrote:

That is actually not quite true. On an HT, the transmission line ends
somewhere inside the radio. The SMA/BNC connector is part of the
antenna proper. If you add a sleeve (as the previous poster, "dixon",
says), you will be changing the antenna itself. ASCII schematic follows:

befo

I have been in the communications field for 35 years, and I have NEVER
seen a SMA/BNC antenna connector on a Handheld Radio that didn't
have a the RF Ground connected to the ground side of the connector.
there are some that use different antenna connectors than SMA/TNC?BNC
that are singleended but I have never seen one used that way.
CFR (Call for Rference) Tell us all which radios your talking about.
Make, Model, Version.

Me

You missed my point, I think. The counterpoise is the (poor) metal of
the radio and of the user's hand. Any connector/adapter will be coaxial
and probably low loss, but the counterpoise stays put. The feedpoint
rises but the "ground" plane does not. For an SMA adapter, it might not
be enough to hear a difference, but the radiated signal will be worse
when using such an adapter.

73,
Dave

No, you didn't read roy's post on how feedline and antennas systems
work......

Me