Old December 17th 04, 06:06 PM
USR1942(MC_CET)

Scouting and Radio trivia
http://www181.pair.com/otsw/Scouts/BSA02.jpg

MCCET
PMTNPO

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:58:39 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
wrote:

Wonder if there are any other Hams that have managed to take their rigs on a
Boy Scout campout and got the Scouts interested in Ham Radio, or even Morse
Code ? We have two Hams in our Troop, and we have thought about doing the
JOTA in October, along with dragging a rig to our indoor/cabin camping
weekends, and something during good weather. Also, what would be a good rig
to drag out to these camping events....

Old December 17th 04, 06:57 PM
Mike Andrews

In (rec.radio.amateur.equipment), "USR1942(MC_CET)" wrote:
Scouting and Radio trivia
http://www181.pair.com/otsw/Scouts/BSA02.jpg

Thanks very much for that. I think The Boy is going to get one of those
for Christmas. 1

--
Remember, when it comes to commercial TV, the program is not the product.
YOU are the product, and the advertiser is the customer.

-- Mark W. Schumann, in the Monastery

Old December 18th 04, 12:09 AM
USR1942(MC_CET)

Try this one too
http://www181.pair.com/otsw/Scouts/

MCCET

Old December 18th 04, 04:40 AM
J. Teske

wrote:

Wonder if there are any other Hams that have managed to take their rigs on a
Boy Scout campout and got the Scouts interested in Ham Radio, or even Morse
Code ? We have two Hams in our Troop, and we have thought about doing the
JOTA in October, along with dragging a rig to our indoor/cabin camping
weekends, and something during good weather. Also, what would be a good rig
to drag out to these camping events....

To some extent. I have taught Morse to Sea Scouts within the last five
or so years. But back up to 1957 when I was 15. I had been a ham in
Wisconsin for almost two years at the time and I was engaged to teach
Morse Code (and a few other scouting subjects) at the local scout
camp. I was also allowed to bring my ham stuff to the camp which I set
up in my Morse training area. It was an all CW station because that
was all I could afford back then...A Viking Adventurer and a
Hammarlund HQ-100 (my dad bought the receiver for me). If fact the
scout summer job was taken with the objective of earning enough money
to buy a phone rig kit which I did. I bought and built a Globe Scout
680, my first phone rig. I must have exposed a few scouts to ham
radio, and while I didn't get any immediate response, by the time I
was in college some of those scouts were of high school age and became
interested in ham radio. Some of them remembered me and there were a
couple of them to whom I gave Novice exams once I turned 21 as was the
practice at the time. I had the cost of the transmitter figured out to
a gnats eyelash. My salary for the camp session (my first job) plus
the trade in value of the Viking Adventurer was just enough to buy the
transmitter kit...about $90.00.

Jon Teske W3JT (I was K9CAH back then)