Old February 2nd 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default ICOM ic-746 no voice transmitted

I am new to ham radio. For my first hf radio, I bought a used ic-746. It has been working on all bands except 2 meters. I can receive on 2 meters but not transmit. It seems to be transmitting a signal but not transmitting the voice. I use a ht to determine if the icom is transmitting. I set both radios to the same frequency. When I push PTT on the icom, the green receive light on the ht turns on but when I talk into the mic, there is no sound on the ht. Unlike other bands, the Po and SWR meters on the icom do not move when trying to transmit on 2 meters. The power supply meter moves a little when PTT is pushed.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Dennis KD0TTF
Old February 3rd 15, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1502031600350.15229@darkstar. example.org...
On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Barry OGrady wrote:

talk into the mic, there is no sound on the ht. Unlike other bands,
the Po and SWR meters on the icom do not move when trying to transmit
on 2 meters. The power supply meter moves a little when PTT is pushed.
Any ideas or suggestions?

The IC-746 has no meters. It uses a large LCD display.

Which are giving a readout, so become meters. My digital multimeter is
still a meter, despite an LCD readout.

I'm surprised you didnt' quibble about "2 meters".

Michael

Some do seem to get bent out of shape over the small things. I have a 746
pro and while it does have a LCD display, I still think of the part that
shows the SWR, PO, S and other things as the meter.

I worked at a place that when it first started out they had a large control
room with hundreds of paper chart recorders and knobs to adjust the
settings. As we moved to computer control and computer screens and
keyboards, the display on the computer screen was still called charts by the
operators and others.

Not sure if he is into shooting or not, but bet he gets bent out of shape
over calling the magazines clips.

Old February 4th 15, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 2/3/2015 4:40 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

"Barry OGrady" is a well-known troll in multiple newsgroups. He's not
even a ham - but he trolls the ham-related newsgroups, amongst others.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Old February 5th 15, 12:06 AM
Senior Member

The ICOM 746 Pro is a over glorified CB radio / hamshack in a box.
It was junk when it was new and it didn't get any better with age.
If it is broke, put it in a box and send it back to Icom and tell them to fix it or just don't use the 2m side of the radio...
That is the best advice I can give you.

Alternate advice, sell it and buy something better, or get a big sledge hammer and smash it and then no one will ever have to look at it again!
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...