Old May 17th 15, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Baofeng

Obviously I'd heard of the Baofeng products, and this weekend
was my first opportunity to see one in the flesh, but not in amateur
service, for I was a jump judge at an equestrian event and some of these
little beauties were the 2-way radios supplied to each fence.

Interesting to compare the march of time because a couple of years ago
I picked up a Pye Ranger, a valve PMR, dated 1969, and the microphone alone
is bigger than those Baofeng jobbies.

Old May 17th 15, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"gareth" wrote in message
Obviously I'd heard of the Baofeng products, and this weekend
was my first opportunity to see one in the flesh, but not in amateur
service, for I was a jump judge at an equestrian event and some of these
little beauties were the 2-way radios supplied to each fence.

Interesting to compare the march of time because a couple of years ago
I picked up a Pye Ranger, a valve PMR, dated 1969, and the microphone
alone
is bigger than those Baofeng jobbies.

The mic probably cost almost as much as the Baofeng. I know batteries for
the Hts cost more than the whole HT from Baofeng.

Couple of years ago my battery packs for the Yeasu Hs were going bad so I
picked up a Woxun for just over $ 100. Came with a desk charger. Much
smaller and if I need batteries much cheaper.

Old May 17th 15, 11:29 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
Obviously I'd heard of the Baofeng products, and this weekend
was my first opportunity to see one in the flesh, but not in amateur
service, for I was a jump judge at an equestrian event and some of these
little beauties were the 2-way radios supplied to each fence.

Interesting to compare the march of time because a couple of years ago
I picked up a Pye Ranger, a valve PMR, dated 1969, and the microphone alone
is bigger than those Baofeng jobbies.
And this event was licensed HOW?

These little beauties as you put it, are not compatible with GMRS or LMRS rules - Part 90.
They have a detachable antenna and they put out more than one half of one watt - so they are not legal for FRS.
I'm not sure of all the rules in MURS - but I would venture to say that they are not suitable for it either.

It's the morons that wants cheap communications that ruins two way radio for the rest of us!
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old May 18th 15, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 5/17/2015 6:29 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
gareth;839585 Wrote:
[...]

And exactly what are the rules in the U.K. - where Gareth is?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old May 18th 15, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Channel Jumper wrote:

gareth;839585 Wrote:
Obviously I'd heard of the Baofeng products, and this weekend
was my first opportunity to see one in the flesh, but not in amateur
service, for I was a jump judge at an equestrian event and some of
these
little beauties were the 2-way radios supplied to each fence.

Interesting to compare the march of time because a couple of years ago
I picked up a Pye Ranger, a valve PMR, dated 1969, and the microphone
alone
is bigger than those Baofeng jobbies.

And this event was licensed HOW?

These little beauties as you put it, are not compatible with GMRS or
LMRS rules - Part 90.

What difference does that make in the UK?

--
Jim Pennino

Old May 18th 15, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Channel Jumper" wrote in message

gareth;839585 Wrote:
Obviously I'd heard of the Baofeng products, and this weekend
was my first opportunity to see one in the flesh, but not in amateur
service, for I was a jump judge at an equestrian event and some of
these
little beauties were the 2-way radios supplied to each fence.

Interesting to compare the march of time because a couple of years ago
I picked up a Pye Ranger, a valve PMR, dated 1969, and the microphone
alone
is bigger than those Baofeng jobbies.

And this event was licensed HOW?

UK based PMR and PA company, OfCom licensed.

They cover most of the equestrian events in this area.

Old May 19th 15, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 5/17/2015 6:29 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:

These little beauties as you put it, are not compatible with GMRS or
LMRS rules - Part 90.

Not all countries have Part 90.. Or GMRS or FRS

However.. It would be a simple matter for the manufacturer to make two
ROM chips.. one limits the transmiter to the US ham bands (or to the
Extended ham bands (MARS/CAP) and the other does not.

If they did that it would work like my other radios..I can receive NOAA
wather, GMRS,,FRS and more..BUT THEY WILL NOT TRANSMIT on those frequencies.

But with these they are full coverage.. Both TRANSMIT and RECEIVE

--
Home, is where I park it.

---

Old May 19th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Tue, 19 May 2015, John Davis wrote:

On 5/17/2015 6:29 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:

These little beauties as you put it, are not compatible with GMRS or
LMRS rules - Part 90.

Not all countries have Part 90.. Or GMRS or FRS

However.. It would be a simple matter for the manufacturer to make two ROM
chips.. one limits the transmiter to the US ham bands (or to the Extended ham
bands (MARS/CAP) and the other does not.

If they did that it would work like my other radios..I can receive NOAA
wather, GMRS,,FRS and more..BUT THEY WILL NOT TRANSMIT on those frequencies.

But with these they are full coverage.. Both TRANSMIT and RECEIVE

Of course, it works both ways.

Anyone can buy those things, so when they find an empty frequency, "why
not use it?". ANd then that empty frequency turns out to be a ham band.

I don't know what the intent of these things are. Are they just cheap ham
walkie talkies, or is the major market elsewhere? If they start making
differnet versions, that will raise the cost.

Michael

Old May 23rd 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In message ple.org,
Michael Black writes

[...]

There already are many different versions. Mr Heinz hardly has a
look-in.

--
Ian
Old May 23rd 15, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 5/19/2015 4:11 PM, Michael Black wrote:

Anyone can buy those things, so when they find an empty frequency, "why
not use it?". ANd then that empty frequency turns out to be a ham band.

I don't know what the intent of these things are. Are they just cheap
ham walkie talkies, or is the major market elsewhere? If they start
making differnet versions, that will raise the cost.

Michael

You are correct on everything.. Yes. if they make different versions
costs will rise.. If they are honest about a dollar (or less).

But the concern of folks in this thread is not that a radio marketed for
HAM might get used on GMRS/FRS (or worse yet a government frequency) so
much as the fact that a fairly decent radio could be banned because of
folks doing that or... That folks will buy it for that and mess up the
ham bands.. or both.

Also Amazon sells them.. ANYONE can buy off Amazon (Provided they have
a way to pay) They do not make any effort to verify you are licensed.

And we already have many dealers of radio gear who have been "Raided" by
the FCC for selling ham gear to folks who have no intention of getting a
ham license.... EVER.. (10 meter gear re-tuned in some cases, or capable
of tuning 11 meters).
--
Home, is where I park it.

---