Old November 28th 15, 10:13 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Test equipment and the march of time

Looking at the shelves of test eqpt that I've gathered over the past 45
years,
any one of them could now be produced in a container the size of a matchbox,
and with much greater capability than these boxes 8" square by 3" high!

MOAN
With the ubiquity of the PC in the home, thereby capable of providing
the complete human interface to test equipment, I wonder how many actually
have the capability today of verifying the harmonic output of the rigs, and
confirming the frequency accuracy?

Or, even for the assumed technically minded radio amateur, does the old
adage
now apply that to the average person anything suffiently advanced seems
just like black magic?

What has happened to the _REAL_ radio amateur who understands the innards
of his equipment to some depth and will maintian it himself?

/MOAN

Old November 28th 15, 11:05 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"gareth" wrote:
[...]

***Project Shun Notice***
Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW has been placed under a global shunning order by
Project Shun for his continual, deranged trolling.
Please help us make Usenet better by not responding to his malicious and
lunatic postings.
With thanks, Team Project Shun.
***end***

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old November 28th 15, 12:17 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 10:13:37 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

[...]

Gone the same way as the mechanic with his dwell meter and feeler
gauges...its progress I'm afraid.
Old November 28th 15, 12:33 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote:
[...]

REPORTED TO ISP FOR SPAMMING

Old November 28th 15, 12:35 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

[...]

I have all that old gear including colourtune.....you never know when you
might need them ....

Old November 28th 15, 12:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
What has happened to the _REAL_ radio amateur who understands the innards
of his equipment to some depth and will maintian it himself?

Gone the same way as the mechanic with his dwell meter and feeler
gauges...its progress I'm afraid.

I have all that old gear including colourtune.....you never know when you
might need them ....

Gosh! ColourTune - I've got one of those which has lain unused since 1984
when
I got my first brand-new car since when I've paid for servicing and repairs!

Also grease gun, and rubber tube and glass jamjar to bleed the brakes.

Also a strobe light to pick out TDC!

Happy days!

Old November 28th 15, 12:49 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"gareth" wrote in message

wrote:
What has happened to the _REAL_ radio amateur who understands the
innards
of his equipment to some depth and will maintian it himself?

Gone the same way as the mechanic with his dwell meter and feeler
gauges...its progress I'm afraid.

I have all that old gear including colourtune.....you never know when you
might need them ....

Gosh! ColourTune - I've got one of those which has lain unused since 1984
when
I got my first brand-new car since when I've paid for servicing and
repairs!

Shocking and you a technical home brewer chap as well

Also grease gun, and rubber tube and glass jamjar to bleed the brakes.

I still need my grease gun as all three mustangs had/have nipples .......

Also a strobe light to pick out TDC!

Have a couple of radio shack micronota guns ......

Happy days!

are still here with me....with...spring compressors caliper rewinder kit car
creeper pro trolly jack two torque wrenches etc etc etc....

Old November 28th 15, 01:21 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
[...]

REPORTED TO ISP FOR STALKING AND SPAMMING

Old November 28th 15, 01:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:35:10 -0000, "Jimbo"
wrote:

I have all that old gear including colourtune.....you never know when you
might need them ....

Oh good. I thought I was the only one. :-)