Old August 22nd 16, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Using RT Systems Software with FT-991

The RT Systems software worked well with the Yaesu FT-991 until I
installed the July 13 firmware update.

Now I can not upload my backup data to the FT-991. The radio becomes
unusable If I try. I can successfully upload only the channel data, but
it is a lot of work to manually change the various other parameters.

I tried downloading a new backup, but it has the same problem when
uploading back to the radio.

Searching the web, there is no reference to others with the same
problem. Has anyone here seen anything like it?

I contacted RT Systems, but they have avoided confirming the problem.
As far as I can tell, I may have botched the firmware update.

Fred
K4DII
Old August 27th 16, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

The RT Systems software worked well with the Yaesu FT-991 until I
installed the July 13 firmware update.

Now I can not upload my backup data to the FT-991. The radio becomes
unusable If I try. I can successfully upload only the channel data, but
it is a lot of work to manually change the various other parameters.

I installed the August 24 firmware updates to the FT-991. Before trying
the RT Systems software, I installed its recent update. There is still
a problem uploading "Menu" data along with Channel data to the radio.

It is necessary to perform a reset in order to get the radio to work
again after attempting the upload. After re-uploading just the
channels, the default Menu items can be quite a nuisance. For example,
some modes may have a default where the "MCH" channel selector function
changes to something else like Squelch level. As you step through
channels, you suddenly find yourself changing squelch level instead of
moving to the next channel!

Fred
K4DII
Old October 3rd 16, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

[...]

Another firmware update, another RT Systems update. It seems to be
getting better. The funny behavior is still there after reloading the
RT Systems backup. However I discovered that by exercising various
functions, the radio starts working again. It may have been the
Clarifier function that made it work, I'm not sure.

Perhaps it would have started working back in July, but I did not happen
to try the right combination of functions.

A firmware upgrade often requires a system reset. Therefore the problem
still exists where settings for each mode are different after the RT
Systems backup re-load. In addition, my arrangement of the bottom four
buttons has to be redone. RT Systems' software does not save these
settings, nor does it save the VFO frequencies for each band.

In spite of many nice features of the FT-991, I am not thrilled with it.
There have been a high number of firmware updates. My early model still
has the AM modulation problem, although recent production models have
apparently been updated so AM works well.

Fred
K4DII
Old December 4th 16, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

Another firmware update, another RT Systems update. It seems to be
getting better. The funny behavior is still there after reloading the
RT Systems backup. However I discovered that by exercising various
functions, the radio starts working again. It may have been the
Clarifier function that made it work, I'm not sure.

Yet another update. The 12/2/16 firmware update added another squelch
option. After the update, reloading the RT Systems backup resulted in
all memory squelch settings being reset to None, although the tone
frequencies were still correct.

This presents an additional problem with C4FM channels that also had
tone settings programmed in FM mode prior to selecting the C4FM mode.
They will each need to be individually re-programmed and saved over the
old channel data. Otherwise the AMS feature may be receive-only.

Again, the radio could not be changed from VFO to Memory until much
fiddling around. This time it took much more trying different things
before it finally started to work. I think the only way to get around
this behavior, is to only upload RT Systems channel data back to the
radio.

Fred
K4DII
Old December 7th 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

This presents an additional problem with C4FM channels that also had
tone settings programmed in FM mode prior to selecting the C4FM mode.
They will each need to be individually re-programmed and saved over the
old channel data. Otherwise the AMS feature may be receive-only.

If anyone is interested, here is a method of making minor changes to an
FT-991 channel contents. If you have "TAG" text set for a channel, it
will be lost. Make note of it ahead of time.

1. Set FT-991 to channel of interest

2. Press A=B

3. Press V/M

4. Press A/B

5. Make changes

6. Write data back to channel of interest.

I use this method in fixing of Tone Encoder for Fusion AMS:

5a. Change Mode to FM

5b. Set tone and encoder for channel of interest

5c Change Mode back to C4FM

This saved me a lot of time after updating firmware the last two times!

Fred
K4DII