Old February 13th 17, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Kenwood TS-450s

On Saturday, 25 May 2013 19:25:54 UTC-3, Yorklynyankee wrote:
Thank all of you for your suggestions. Just for the record, I don't
operate CB radio, I am a retired Research & Development electrical
engineer from HP, and I have a masters degree in Electrical
Engineering.... now to answer some of the questions. As I mentioned in
my first posting the radio is connected to a 50 dummy load. By low
output power I mean 5~10 watts, I have tried two different microphones.
I have another Kenwood TS-450 so I have a working radio to compare their
outputs. When I whistle into the radio using USB/LSB on any bands at any
frequency, the radio will only put out 5~10 watts. Whereas under
identical conditions the working radio will put out 100 watts. There is
absolutely NO DOUBT that this radio's USB/LSB is not working. The same
radio puts out 100+ watts on CW and FSK. I suspect something in the
balanced modulator, but I am looking for someone who has encountered a
problem like this before. This radio is known for having some common
problems, like C104, so I was hoping that there was another frequently
failed component that causes this problem.

--
Yorklynyankee

Having same problem with my 450. Did you find the problem? Colin...
Old February 13th 17, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 13:18:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:
[...]

And you believe "Yorklynyankee" has been checking back on this thread
for nearly FOUR YEARS?
Old February 14th 17, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Colin-

I have the TS-690, which is a TS-450 with Six Meters. So far, the only
obvious problem I have had was due to a leaking electrolytic capacitor
in the audio output circuit. It seems the leaked electrolyte ate
through one of the foil circuits in series with audio output. I was
able to repair it by replacing the capacitor and adding a jumper across
the foil.

I also have had problems with an old Kenwood TS-50. Several
electrolytic capacitors have gone bad, sometimes leaking. It can be
very frustrating fixing one problem and then finding more that were
hidden by the first. I conclude that Kenwood has had problems with
electrolytic capacitors.

Good luck.

Fred
K4DII
Old May 1st 18, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

My 450 starts sending Morse code letters U & L as soon as I power it up master reset does not fix the problem and the only time it will stop is momentarily when I change frequencies then it starts back up again. Has anyone encountered this problem and can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot it? Thank you Sam in Colorado. N0KEI

FS: Kenwood TS-450S HF Transceiver Ritch Equipment 0 October 20th 05 03:46 PM
FS: Kenwood TS-450S HF Transceiver [email protected] Swap 0 September 14th 05 05:02 AM
Kenwood HF ts-450s Dave Sharpen Antenna 1 May 1st 04 09:49 PM
FS: Kenwood TS-450S Don West Equipment 0 November 22nd 03 06:42 PM
FS: Kenwood TS-450S Don West Equipment 0 November 22nd 03 06:42 PM