Old June 4th 19, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Congeratinga Native Forest Reserve VKFF-2896

vk5pas

Congeratinga Native Forest Reserve VKFF-2896

https://vk5pas.org/2019/06/03/conger...rve-vkff-2896/

Today (Monday 3rd June 2019) was my first of 2 days off after working 7
straight shifts at work.Â* Sadly the weather was less than ideal, with
shower activity all morning and a very chilly temperature of around 10 deg
C.Â* I had an itchy PTT finger and was keen to get out to do an activation.Â*
I waited until after lunch when the weather cleared a little, and packed
the 4WD and headed down to the Congeratinga Native Forest Reserve VKFF-2896
on the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Congeratinga Native Forest
Reserve.Â* Map courtesy of Protected Planet.

I travelled to the town Meadows and then through Mount Compass, and headed
south on the Victor Harbor Road.Â* Upon reaching Victor Harbor, I stopped
briefly to admire the view from Range Road.

I headed west out of Victor Harbor on the Range Road and soon reached the
area of Parawa.Â* This is beautiful countryside, and there are some great
views to be enjoyed from Range Road of the surrounding countryside.

After about an hour and twenty minutes on the road, I reached the Reserve.Â*
It was well signposted.

Congeratinga Native Forest Reserve forms part of the Second Valley Forest
Reserve.Â* Nearby Native Forest Reserves are Kalamunda and Springs Road.Â*
Together they comprise 250 hectares of native vegetation.

Congeratinga is located on the northern side of Range Road, with a small
section also located on the southern side of Range Road.Â* The reserve is
about 77.3 hectares in size.Â* Commercial pine plantations are located to
the west of the reserve, with cleared farming land located on the other
boundaries of the reserve.Â* The Congeratinga River flows through the
reserve.

Native mammals found in the reserve include the Western Grey Kangaroo,
Short-beaked Echidna, Yellow-footed Antechinus, Bush Rat, and the
Southern-brown Bandicoot.Â* It is believed that the endangered Southern
Emu-wren is located in the reserve.

I found a small 4WD track which ran adjacent to Range Road.Â* I drove down
the boggy track which followed the southern boundary of the reserve.Â* There
was plenty of room here to stretch out the 20/40/80m linked dipole.Â* I ran
the Yaesu FT-857d and 40 watts output for this activation.
Above:- An aerial shot of the Congeratinga Native Forest Reserve, showing
my operating spot.Â* Image courtesy of Protected Planet.

I was set up and ready to go by about 2.30 p.m. local time.Â* I found Rob
VK4HAT/p on 7.144 calling CQ from Kurwongbah Park Nature Refuge VKFF-2868.Â*
After logging Rob Park to Park I moved up the band to 7.150 an asked if the
frequency was in use.Â* Dennis VK2HHA came back to let me know the frequency
was clear.Â* I logged Dennis, followed by Peter VK3PF, and then Ron VK3AHR.

It was a weekday, but I was very pleased to have a steady flow of callers.Â*
Contact number 10, qualifying the park for me for VKFF, was with Tom
VK3ATO.Â* I logged a total of 35 stations on 40m before callers slowed
down.Â* So it was down with the squid pole, and I inserted the links for the
80m band.

Unfortunately, I had no mobile phone coverage.Â* But thanks to some very
kind hams I was spotted on parksnpeaks.Â* I logged a total of 6 stations on
80m.Â* Two of those were from VK5, and four from VK3.

I then moved to the 20m band where I logged a total of 8 stations from VK3,
VK4, and VK6.Â* To conclude the activation I moved back to 40m where I
logged a further 5 stations, before packing up and heading home.

I had qualified the park, with a total of 54 contacts in the log.
Above:- My operating spot for the afternoon.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK4HAT/p (Kurwongbah Park Nature Refuge VKFF-2868)
VK2HHA
VK3PF
VK3AHR
VK4FDJL
VK2NP
VK3MIJ
VK2YW
VK7JON
VK3ATO
VK7FOLK
VK2LEE
ZL1TM
VK2MG
VK3FPSR
VK5LG
VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK3UH
VK2DWP/m
VK2IO/m
VK4VXX/2
VK2UPR/p
VK3FT
VK4PDX
VK4RF
VK4HA
VK3MKE
VK2BHO
VK4SMA
VK7KT
VK2DXM/m
VK2ARL
VK3MCK
VK2UH
VK3FKL
VK2VW
VK2MOP
VK7QP/2

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK3PF
VK5WU
VK3NBL
VK3RW
VK3SQ
VK5AYL

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK4LMB
VK4HAT
KH7AVC/VK4
VK4SMA
VK4PHD
VK3PF
VK3SQ
VK6QS

I headed north along Hay Flat Road, stopping briefly to have a look at
Ingala Falls.Â* It is just a short 250-metre walk from the carpark to the
falls.
Above:- Ingala Falls.

I headed back home through Yankalilla, Myponga, and Meadows.Â* It was slow
going home as it was starting to get dark and the kangaroos were out in
force.