Old March 15th 05, 01:00 AM
Matt J. McCullar

Default Standard HT help

I have a Standard C528A twin-band (2m/440) HT that's 12 years old. I've not
used it for a few years, and when I pulled it out of mothballs last week, I
powered it up using an external supply and it simply acted bonkers. It
would not respond properly to all keypad commands.

Taking the HT apart, I found a dead 3-volt lithium battery. I replaced it
with a fresh one, hit the little reset button inside the push-to-talk
switch, but to my chagrin found absolutely no change. The radio still acts
like it's stuck in a particular mode and I cannot punch in a frequency with
the keyboard.

Am I not resetting this radio properly? Is there a particular sequence of
keys I need to hit?

Thanks!!!!

73 DE KJ5BA
Arlington, TX

Old March 15th 05, 01:06 AM
nitespark

Matt J. McCullar wrote:
I have a Standard C528A twin-band (2m/440) HT that's 12 years old. I've not
used it for a few years, and when I pulled it out of mothballs last week, I
powered it up using an external supply and it simply acted bonkers. It
would not respond properly to all keypad commands.

Taking the HT apart, I found a dead 3-volt lithium battery. I replaced it
with a fresh one, hit the little reset button inside the push-to-talk
switch, but to my chagrin found absolutely no change. The radio still acts
like it's stuck in a particular mode and I cannot punch in a frequency with
the keyboard.

Am I not resetting this radio properly? Is there a particular sequence of
keys I need to hit?

Thanks!!!!

73 DE KJ5BA
Arlington, TX

Try turning the radio off.
Hold down the "F" key, the "Mon" key and turn on the power. You may
hear a series of beeps then release the keys.

I have a C510 and this is how the reset sequence goes for it and they
may be using the same CPU or programming for it.

Andy
WD4KDN

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.
Old March 15th 05, 01:56 AM
Robert Kubichek

Turn off the radio, hold the reset button in WHILE turning on the radio.
Also, isn't the reset button on the opposite side of the radio from the
ptt switch?, and the function switch is alongside the ptt???? It should
be the same setup as the C228A (2M/220)..... Also, you might need to
have the memory cart reinitialized. I hope not though.

Good luck!

Bob N9LVU

Old March 15th 05, 02:17 AM
Matt J. McCullar

Try turning the radio off.
Hold down the "F" key, the "Mon" key and turn on the power. You may
hear a series of beeps then release the keys.

I have a C510 and this is how the reset sequence goes for it and they
may be using the same CPU or programming for it.

I presume "F" is the function key.
I cannot find a "Mon" key on this rig. Is it labeled something else?

Old March 15th 05, 02:18 AM
Matt J. McCullar

"Robert Kubichek" wrote in message
Turn off the radio, hold the reset button in WHILE turning on the radio.
Also, isn't the reset button on the opposite side of the radio from the
ptt switch?, and the function switch is alongside the ptt???? It should
be the same setup as the C228A (2M/220)..... Also, you might need to
have the memory cart reinitialized. I hope not though.

I've held in the reset button while powering up, and no change.

Yes, you're right -- the reset button is on the other side of the HT from
the push-to-talk switch. I got them mixed up!

Old March 15th 05, 11:28 AM
nitespark

Matt J. McCullar wrote:

Try turning the radio off.
Hold down the "F" key, the "Mon" key and turn on the power. You may
hear a series of beeps then release the keys.

I have a C510 and this is how the reset sequence goes for it and they
may be using the same CPU or programming for it.

I presume "F" is the function key.
I cannot find a "Mon" key on this rig. Is it labeled something else?

"Mon" key would be the one you push to "monitor". It either opens up
the squelch if you are on simplex, or checks the input frequency if you
are on a repeater split. On the C510 is right below the PTT button.

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.
Old March 15th 05, 11:34 PM
Matt J. McCullar

"Mon" key would be the one you push to "monitor". It either opens up
the squelch if you are on simplex, or checks the input frequency if you
are on a repeater split. On the C510 is right below the PTT button.

Sorry to report that my radio must be completely different from yours; it
has no such animal on it. There is a rotary control to break the squelch,
and a function key on the keypad lets you check an input frequency...

Old March 15th 05, 11:54 PM
nitespark

Matt J. McCullar wrote:

"Mon" key would be the one you push to "monitor". It either opens up
the squelch if you are on simplex, or checks the input frequency if you
are on a repeater split. On the C510 is right below the PTT button.

Sorry to report that my radio must be completely different from yours; it
has no such animal on it. There is a rotary control to break the squelch,
and a function key on the keypad lets you check an input frequency...

Oh well...just a thought. I have

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.
Old March 15th 05, 11:59 PM
nitespark

nitespark wrote:

Matt J. McCullar wrote:

"Mon" key would be the one you push to "monitor". It either opens up
the squelch if you are on simplex, or checks the input frequency if you
are on a repeater split. On the C510 is right below the PTT button.

Sorry to report that my radio must be completely different from yours; it
has no such animal on it. There is a rotary control to break the
squelch,
and a function key on the keypad lets you check an input frequency...

Oh well...just a thought. I have

Ooops, let me continue....

I have several Standard radios and I have found that if you understand
the programming on one, others are easy to pick up.

You may want to try contacting Matt Adrian at . He was
doing Standard radio servicing at one time. He may know the hard reset
sequence on that radio.

Andy
WD4KDN

--