Old March 7th 05, 03:47 AM
Mike Terry

Default Digital becoming standard in cars

"In addition to the two-tone leather/alcantara interior, the steering wheel
and gear knob are also leather-covered. Exterior door handles and bodyside
mouldings are colour-keyed. Lacetti Sport features a Blaupunkt single CD
player as standard and, new to this market sector, a DAB digital radio,
single CD player as an option. Six speakers for exceptional sound quality,
along with steering wheel audio controls, are standard on the Lacetti
Sport."

http://www.carpages.co.uk/chevrolet/...&echo=70727917

Old March 8th 05, 06:15 AM

I'm going to put DAB radios in all my many vehicles. I can't put up
with FM, with its constant fading, now I've heard DAB. FM also seems
very restricted for choice, with no means of hearing Radio 7 and One
Word.

Bill

Old March 8th 05, 06:15 AM
DAB sounds worse than FM

Mike Terry wrote:

So, from this sentence:

"Lacetti Sport features a Blaupunkt single CD player as standard and,
new to this market sector, a DAB digital radio, single CD player as an
option."

you've come to the conclusion that "digital is becoming standard in
cars"?

1. Chevrolet Lacettis are rare in the UK
2. DAB is an OPTION, not standard
3. DAB is not becoming standard in cars
4. You're a knobhead
5. Go away.

Find the cheapest Freeview, DAB & MP3 Player Prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...tal_radios.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp...rs_1GB-5GB.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp...e_capacity.htm

Old March 8th 05, 06:15 AM
Rainbow Chaser

From my experience 99% of car salesmen have never heard of DAB (not
listening to the BBC trails then)

Even when you mail the corporate HQ of some car companies the response is
very poor.

So after 2 years with a Woodstock, I'm back enjoying the better sounds of
Radio 2 on FM & the worse sounds of Radio 5 on AM, but I must say the Saab
AM/FM radio is fantastic for factory fitted kit, pity it doesn't do DAB too.

R.C.

Old March 8th 05, 11:22 PM
fm_soundsgreat_when_a_cab_goes_past

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message ...
Mike Terry wrote:

So, from this sentence:

"Lacetti Sport features a Blaupunkt single CD player as standard and,
new to this market sector, a DAB digital radio, single CD player as an
option."

you've come to the conclusion that "digital is becoming standard in
cars"?

1. Chevrolet Lacettis are rare in the UK
2. DAB is an OPTION, not standard
3. DAB is not becoming standard in cars
4. You're a knobhead
5. Go away.

ack that's a little unfair. It's a obvious option for manufactures,
but unit prices keep it in the ‘option' or ‘accessory' bin at the
moment, not the fact that it's dab. I have dab in my car and I have to
admit it was night and day when comparing it to my pants factory
fitted fm radio. I'd never go back to an in car fm unit.

quick google around and here's what's going on – without telling you
you're a ‘knobhead'

opel throughout europe and vauxhall in the uk has added dab as a
factory-fitted option to the newly designed audio system in the new
astra. all opel\ vauxhall brands will be optioning dab across europe
by sept 2004

gm daewoo's lacetti, has dab as a price-listed option – we knew that
one.

tvr offers dab as a factory fit across its entire range, with standard
fit on the tuscan s – but then the tuscan is a ******s car

rover and mg dealerships in the uk are offering DAB digital radio as
an accessory.

the new lotus elise 111R has dab digital radio as a factory fitted
option.

fiat dealerships offer dab as an accessory.

Old March 10th 05, 01:14 AM
DAB sounds worse than FM

fm_soundsgreat_when_a_cab_goes_past wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
Mike Terry wrote:

So, from this sentence:

"Lacetti Sport features a Blaupunkt single CD player as standard and,
new to this market sector, a DAB digital radio, single CD player as
an option."

you've come to the conclusion that "digital is becoming standard in
cars"?

1. Chevrolet Lacettis are rare in the UK
2. DAB is an OPTION, not standard
3. DAB is not becoming standard in cars
4. You're a knobhead
5. Go away.

ack that's a little unfair.

No it's not.

It's a obvious option for manufactures,
but unit prices keep it in the 'option' or 'accessory' bin at the
moment, not the fact that it's dab. I have dab in my car and I have to
admit it was night and day when comparing it to my pants factory
fitted fm radio. I'd never go back to an in car fm unit.

You try to make out that you're oh so into audio, and oh so knowledgable
about audio, so why is it when you come to radio you seem to be
incredibly backward?

You wouldn't dream of expecting radio to sound good. Why? And don't you
have an FM tuner at home? If so, have you never turned on Radio 3?

And now you're trying to suggest that DAB sounds better than FM in cars,
just because you replaced your ****ty factory-fitted FM car stereo? And
the same argument went for when you replaced your malfunctioning FM
portable (that you could hear taxis on, which shows it wasn't even fking
working properly) with a ghastly The Bug portable and you seem to
suggest DAB is better.

Pal, whatever your name actually is, you don't know WTF you're going on
about.

My Sony ICF703L FM portable sounds miles better than my Evoke-1.
My Pioneer DEH-P77MP CD/MP3/FM car stereo with DSP-enhanced FM tuner
sounds the dog's ********, and the FM bit WILL wipe the floor with DAB.
End of story.

quick google around and here's what's going on - without telling you
you're a 'knobhead'

opel throughout europe and vauxhall in the uk has added dab as a
factory-fitted option to the newly designed audio system in the new
astra. all opel\ vauxhall brands will be optioning dab across europe
by sept 2004

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

gm daewoo's lacetti, has dab as a price-listed option - we knew that
one.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

tvr offers dab as a factory fit across its entire range, with standard
fit on the tuscan s - but then the tuscan is a ******s car

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

rover and mg dealerships in the uk are offering DAB digital radio as
an accessory.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

the new lotus elise 111R has dab digital radio as a factory fitted
option.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

fiat dealerships offer dab as an accessory.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

Hope that helps.

Old March 11th 05, 06:36 AM
fm_soundsgreat_when_a_cab_goes_past

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message ...
fm_soundsgreat_when_a_cab_goes_past wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
Mike Terry wrote:

So, from this sentence:

"Lacetti Sport features a Blaupunkt single CD player as standard and,
new to this market sector, a DAB digital radio, single CD player as
an option."

you've come to the conclusion that "digital is becoming standard in
cars"?

1. Chevrolet Lacettis are rare in the UK
2. DAB is an OPTION, not standard
3. DAB is not becoming standard in cars
4. You're a knobhead
5. Go away.

ack that's a little unfair.

No it's not.

Ok so its not then. It's a statement made by someone who clearly has a
burgeoning psychosis when it come to radios. How's that?

It's a obvious option for manufactures,
but unit prices keep it in the 'option' or 'accessory' bin at the
moment, not the fact that it's dab. I have dab in my car and I have to
admit it was night and day when comparing it to my pants factory
fitted fm radio. I'd never go back to an in car fm unit.

You try to make out that you're oh so into audio, and oh so knowledgable
about audio, so why is it when you come to radio you seem to be
incredibly backward?

Oh perrrlease Mr Psychosis man! In what way have I tried to make that
out, and in what way can someone be ‘backward' over the subject of a
radio??

You wouldn't dream of expecting radio to sound good. Why? And don't you
have an FM tuner at home? If so, have you never turned on Radio 3?

And now you're trying to suggest that DAB sounds better than FM in cars,
just because you replaced your ****ty factory-fitted FM car stereo? And
the same argument went for when you replaced your malfunctioning FM
portable (that you could hear taxis on, which shows it wasn't even fking
working properly) with a ghastly The Bug portable and you seem to
suggest DAB is better.

A radio is certainly not my preferred choice of playback if I'm in one
of my geeky audio moments, no - and I think that's a fair statement. A
quality LSO recording, played on my Cirrus player through my Naims and
onto my MF5's will forever be a better listening experience than going
through the rigmoral of getting a tuner to bleat out a radio 3
rendition of the same recording. If you need me to explain why this
happens little person, then I will, but then again I probably won't
waste my time because you already know..... don't you?
Don't for one minute think that your incessant drivel regarding the
audio differences between a 99 quid dab portable and an fm tuner will
sell me the theory that fm is a audiophile choice of listening gear.
It's not. End of.... and start thinking about getting something that
resembles a life as well.

Pal, whatever your name actually is, you don't know WTF you're going on
about.

Apparently so. I've clearly been missing the wonderful secret world of
the radio audiophile. My god, somebody kill me.

My Sony ICF703L FM portable sounds miles better than my Evoke-1.
My Pioneer DEH-P77MP CD/MP3/FM car stereo with DSP-enhanced FM tuner
sounds the dog's ********, and the FM bit WILL wipe the floor with DAB.
End of story.

If you can tell me that your little fm car radio, played through your
Nissan Micra's factory fit speakers is head up a better listening
experience than a DAB counterpart – you've got some growing to do Mr
Psychosis man. My enjoyment of having a DAB radio in my car extends as
far as being able to kick in some DRC when I'm a 90mph and deaf from
tyres on concrete, and the fact that I have a little more staion
choice and ‘uninterrupted' playback. That is about how far an analysis
of 'normal use' in-car audio can go.

quick google around and here's what's going on - without telling you
you're a 'knobhead'

opel throughout europe and vauxhall in the uk has added dab as a
factory-fitted option to the newly designed audio system in the new
astra. all opel\ vauxhall brands will be optioning dab across europe
by sept 2004

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

You've got to read threads before answering them, otherwise you run
the risk of coming across as a lost cause.
Here's what I said ‘again' when on the subject of DAB radios's in
cars.

ahem - clears throat It's a obvious option for manufactures, but
unit prices keep it in the 'option' or 'accessory' bin at the moment,
not the fact that it's dab.

How was that? Did you get it that time? I haven't once said that it is
standard or even will become standard – just that it's not standard
because of it's price point at the moment. The future will show us
whether DAB will become an in car standard. As and when the dab price
point falls to an appropriate level, I'll chance the fact that it very
much will – but only when the price is right.

Why do you think it will not become standard in cars?

gm daewoo's lacetti, has dab as a price-listed option - we knew that
one.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

See above.

tvr offers dab as a factory fit across its entire range, with standard
fit on the tuscan s - but then the tuscan is a ******s car

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

Oh dear....

rover and mg dealerships in the uk are offering DAB digital radio as
an accessory.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

Medicaion?

the new lotus elise 111R has dab digital radio as a factory fitted
option.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

With that Mr Psychosis man, I'm off to bed.

fiat dealerships offer dab as an accessory.

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

I suggest you get some sleep too.

Hope that helps.

Old March 12th 05, 04:49 PM
DAB sounds worse than FM

fm_soundsgreat_when_a_cab_goes_past wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
fm_soundsgreat_when_a_cab_goes_past wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message
Mike Terry wrote:

So, from this sentence:

"Lacetti Sport features a Blaupunkt single CD player as standard
and, new to this market sector, a DAB digital radio, single CD
player as an option."

you've come to the conclusion that "digital is becoming standard in
cars"?

1. Chevrolet Lacettis are rare in the UK
2. DAB is an OPTION, not standard
3. DAB is not becoming standard in cars
4. You're a knobhead
5. Go away.

ack that's a little unfair.

No it's not.

Ok so its not then. It's a statement made by someone who clearly has a
burgeoning psychosis when it come to radios. How's that?

I'm listening to the radio right now. Why would I have psychosis about
radios, let alone a burgeoning one??

It's a obvious option for manufactures,
but unit prices keep it in the 'option' or 'accessory' bin at the
moment, not the fact that it's dab. I have dab in my car and I have
to admit it was night and day when comparing it to my pants factory
fitted fm radio. I'd never go back to an in car fm unit.

You try to make out that you're oh so into audio, and oh so
knowledgable about audio, so why is it when you come to radio you
seem to be incredibly backward?

Oh perrrlease Mr Psychosis man! In what way have I tried to make that
out, and in what way can someone be 'backward' over the subject of a
radio??

Here's something you've said earlier:

"the fact of
the matter is if i want to listen to quality audio on my rig i
wouldn't attempt to do that with a radio of any sort"

There is no reason why radio should not be of decent quality.

[...]

Sure, but I fail to see why you stick up for the level of quality that
is used on DAB in the UK. They could easily provide higher bit rates to
provide higher audio quality. That's all I want, so why are you against
that?

If you need me to explain why this
happens little person, then I will, but then again I probably won't
waste my time because you already know..... don't you?
Don't for one minute think that your incessant drivel regarding the
audio differences between a 99 quid dab portable and an fm tuner will
sell me the theory that fm is a audiophile choice of listening gear.

I'm not saying that FM can get anywhere near the level of expensive
hi-fi separates, but if you're suggesting that your The Bug sounds
anywhere near as good as a Denon TU260 (£90-£100) FM tuner then you're
living in cloud cuckoo land.

Awwwww, you didn't like being told you know jack****, did you?

Pal, whatever your name actually is, you don't know WTF you're going
on about.

Apparently so. I've clearly been missing the wonderful secret world of
the radio audiophile. My god, somebody kill me.

I really don't get this; why are you apologising for the broadcasters'
use of low audio quality on DAB??

My Sony ICF703L FM portable sounds miles better than my Evoke-1.
My Pioneer DEH-P77MP CD/MP3/FM car stereo with DSP-enhanced FM tuner
sounds the dog's ********, and the FM bit WILL wipe the floor with
DAB. End of story.

If you can tell me that your little fm car radio, played through your
Nissan Micra's factory fit speakers

I wouldn't buy a Nissan Micra and I always replace factory-fitted
speakers.

is head up a better listening
experience than a DAB counterpart

I guarantee that FM on my car stereo sounds far and above better than
DAB would. Here's my car stereo:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...nomy_id=25-121

it sounds great on FM. And FM reception is "DSP-enhanced". I'll spare
you the details, because you won't understand them, but suffice it to
say that it works very well indeed.

- you've got some growing to do Mr
Psychosis man.

Eh?

My enjoyment of having a DAB radio in my car extends as
far as being able to kick in some DRC when I'm a 90mph and deaf from
tyres on concrete,

Deaf from tyres on concrete? Do you drive with all your windows open?

If you cannot turn the volume up on your car stereo to mask the vast
majority of the road noise then your car stereo isn't powerful enough.

and the fact that I have a little more staion
choice and 'uninterrupted' playback. That is about how far an analysis
of 'normal use' in-car audio can go.

But that's just the same as you being told by a micro hi-fi system owner
saying "paying anything more than £200 on a hi-fi system is wasted
money". It's his prerogative to think that way, but it shouldn't mean
that everybody should think the way he does, and that's exactly the same
thing as what is going on here; you're telling me what requirements I
should have for my radio consumption, and I'm telling you that my
requirements are not going to be dictated by you or anybody else.

Looking at the makes of your hi-fi separates then I'd expect your hi-fi
system cost far more than mine (my separates are in the £200 per device
range), but I would not dream of telling you that you've wasted your
money or that you shouldn't require your audio to be at such a high
level. Yet you are trying to tell me what quality I should accept.
Sorry, but you haven't got and never will have that right.

I've read lots of reports of DAB in cars not sounding anywhere near as
good as FM does. Here's 2:

http://tinyurl.com/5byfb

"You are correct FM does sound better, on some music much, much better,
sorry
I'm not an audiophile so I'll limit myself to saying that music (Radio
2) is
much flatter on DAB than on FM."

And the person that said this had previously stated that DAB sounds
better than FM in cars, but hadn't even compared the two! This is very
typical, because people just assume DAB will sound better, but don't
even bother to compare.

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/go...007_review.htm

"DAB really doesn't sound better than FM."

quick google around and here's what's going on - without telling you
you're a 'knobhead'

opel throughout europe and vauxhall in the uk has added dab as a
factory-fitted option to the newly designed audio system in the new
astra. all opel\ vauxhall brands will be optioning dab across europe
by sept 2004

So DAB isn't becoming standard in cars then.

You've got to read threads before answering them, otherwise you run
the risk of coming across as a lost cause.
Here's what I said 'again' when on the subject of DAB radios's in
cars.

ahem - clears throat It's a obvious option for manufactures, but
unit prices keep it in the 'option' or 'accessory' bin at the moment,
not the fact that it's dab.

How was that? Did you get it that time?

Don't try and patronise me, it doesn't work.

My sole issue is with Mike Terry's choice of thread title:

"Digital becoming standard in cars"

It is not becoming standard in cars. How difficult is that to
understand? DAB will only be standard in cars when it is factory-fitted
in a relatively large proportion of all cars manufactured, and up to now
I think there's only one type of Vauxhall Astra that has DAB
factory-fitted, and otherwise it's an optional extra.

I haven't once said that it is
standard or even will become standard

So why the fk did you stick your oar in? I don't need a lesson from
someone that knows far less than I do about the current state of the DAB
in-car market, thanks.

- just that it's not standard
because of it's price point at the moment. The future will show us
whether DAB will become an in car standard. As and when the dab price
point falls to an appropriate level, I'll chance the fact that it very
much will - but only when the price is right.

It's bound to eventually, because the incompetent broadcastes have
already nailed their sail to the DAB mast, but to suggest that "Digital
[is] becoming standard in cars" is about as wrong as you can get.

Why do you think it will not become standard in cars?

Scuse me? It will *eventually become* standard in cars, but to suggest
that it is "becoming standard in cars" is analogous to suggesting that
HDTV is becoming the standard way that people watch TV just because a
tiny, tiny fraction of the general public has a set-top box that is
capable of receiving Euro1080 (a European HDTV broadcaster on digital
satellite) and occasionally watches HDTV. HDTV will become the standard
way that people watch TV, but that's a decade or two away, so it is
totally wrong to suggest that HDTV is becoming the way that people watch
TV.

God almighty, some of the fking things I have to justify! There really
are far too many buffoons on Usenet.