Old March 25th 05, 02:27 PM
John Harlow

The highway patrol is gonna frown on that 17" monitor up on the
dashboard.

....if they notice it over the monitor on their OWN dashboard.

Old March 25th 05, 02:41 PM
John Franklin

I worked in broadcasting too...........got tired of the heat from the big
jugs in the xmitter. He said he didn't like LCD...........would he prefer
LEDS that consume MORE current? I always liked the Collins r-390A recvr,
good box.

John

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

No thanks, the last transmitter I took care of was a 130 KW Comark
UHF TV transmitter with the antenna on a 1749 foot tower and it had a 5
MW ERP from Orange City, Florida. I prefer working on high end
receivers and their design problems but I had to leave the business due
to health problems. This was my last project:
http://www.l-3com.com/te/PDF/Microdyne/RCB-2000.pdf I worked as an
engineering tech to help move it from hand built prototypes to the
production floor.
It sold for about $80,000 when I left Microdyne.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old March 25th 05, 06:37 PM
Michael A. Terrell

John Franklin wrote:

I worked in broadcasting too...........got tired of the heat from the big
jugs in the xmitter. He said he didn't like LCD...........would he prefer
LEDS that consume MORE current? I always liked the Collins r-390A recvr,
good box.

John

I worked around a 5 MW ERP TV station, No heat problems working on
the 130 KW Comark transmitter but it was a royal pain to flush the
cooling system and refill the antifreeze every year. Truck loads of
distilled bottled water in five gallon bottles because the well water at
the site was so hard. We used a cleaner called Tyglos (sp) to remove
any scaling from the plumbing but we had to keep it out of the three 65
KW Klystrons. We had to drain the system, disconnect the tubes and
bypass them then flush the system. I bought some fiberglass duct board
to put around the heat exchanger and used a "Salamander" heater to bring
the system up to normal temperature so the cleaner would work.

I have a National NC-183R on the bench right now to rebuild. Its a
better radio than either of the Radio Shack DX-300 or DX-375 radios but
I can't use it when the power lines are down after a hurricane. So, I
keep the DX-375 and a Sony SRF-49 around for the hurricane season.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old March 25th 05, 09:37 PM
Michael A. Terrell

John Franklin wrote:

I have a National NC-183R on the bench right now to rebuild. Its a
better radio than either of the Radio Shack DX-300 or DX-375 radios but
I can't use it when the power lines are down after a hurricane. So, I
keep the DX-375 and a Sony SRF-49 around for the hurricane season.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I'm old, sick and on disability so I'd rather take my chances than go
through the stress of moving again. I'm here till I die.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old March 26th 05, 12:45 AM
Butch

Here, here or hear, hear (never did know the right spelling for that)
but, hear,here...I too am too old and disabled to move from this
precious gulf coast, BUT, I won't have a green, or blue, or damn near
red LCD on any rig/receiver in my house when I'm found dead in it.

Butch said that

Old March 26th 05, 02:55 AM
KU4YP

no,

you are not alone. LCD displays and seemingly endless sub menus have
kept me from purchasing newer gear.

the most hi tech piece of gear in the shack here is a kenwood ts-940
and a ts-711-a. other than that, it has tubes in it. one rig i regret
selling is the kenwood ts-830. simplicity at it's finest. it's all on
the front panel.

i have listened several times on 75 meters to people "tuning" the
modern rigs. mostly, the yeasu ft-1000 whatever series. it must be my
poor ears because i can not tell that much of a difference on ssb from
the newer stuff to the older. kenwoods have always had great ssb audio.
but if i am in the mood to listen to great audio, i tune in the 80 meter
AM crowd and listen to them on my hammarlund receiver.

everyone's millage varies, i suppose. i had a chance to purchase a icom
756 pro for what i thought was a reasonable price. when i began
researching the rig, i found that not only were the lcd screens prone to
failure, you could not get replacement screens for them. too much of a
crap shoot for me with people wanting 800 +/- for them.

i have several friends with lcd screen rigs. between the screen and the
menus, i'd rather keep what i have.

best 73 mike ku4yp
Old March 27th 05, 02:34 AM
Joe S.

Am I the only one who still likes radios with tubes and dial strings? And
rectifiers that glow blue? And big ol' transformers that keep your coffee
warm?

--

-----
Joe S.

"Odd Ball" wrote in message

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

-OB

Old March 27th 05, 04:30 AM
Ed

Am I the only one who still likes radios with tubes and dial strings?
And rectifiers that glow blue? And big ol' transformers that keep
your coffee warm?

I get all nostalgic over those, too, but I really don't miss burnt
fingers and the threat of sudden death while working around them, anymore.

:^)

Ed