Old March 27th 05, 10:16 PM
SR

And the neophyte asked...

Blue glow? I thought all vacuum tubes glowed orange at best. What's
happening to cause the tube to run so hot?

SR

"Joe S." wrote in message
Am I the only one who still likes radios with tubes and dial strings? And
rectifiers that glow blue? And big ol' transformers that keep your coffee
warm?

--

-----
Joe S.

Old March 27th 05, 11:30 PM
nitespark

Some of the old rectifiers had a blue glow to them.

"Joe S." wrote in message

Am I the only one who still likes radios with tubes and dial strings? And
rectifiers that glow blue? And big ol' transformers that keep your coffee
warm?

--

-----
Joe S.

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.
Old March 28th 05, 02:49 AM
Joe S.

"nitespark" wrote in message
Some of the old rectifiers had a blue glow to them.

And they flickered as you talked because the current load on the power
supply changed with the modulation -- sort of like an aurora display right
there on the floor. On the floor because the power supply was too damn
heavy to sit on the desk.

Modulation is a whole 'nother thread.

Old March 28th 05, 10:17 AM
Bruce Fletcher

nitespark wrote:
Some of the old rectifiers had a blue glow to them.

Mercury arc rectifiers? A bit large for domestic use!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old March 28th 05, 04:30 PM
Mr Fed UP

BTW they have a news group rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors just for the "ol
ways" folks.
Good luck sparky