Old March 26th 05, 01:42 AM
Joseph Fenn

Default Am I the only one still useing the AZDEN PCS

am I the only one left who still uses the AZDEN pcs3000 for base
station use on VHF (2meters)????
Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
* Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *

Old March 26th 05, 04:03 PM
Buck

I have a friend who is using a 2000 as a base right now. He can't
turn off the PS without losing the memory. He hasn't had much luck
finding the battery so he can replace it nor can he find a service or
users manual.

Buck
N4pgw

************************************************* ***

--
73 for now
Buck
Old March 26th 05, 04:37 PM
bob

Any battery of like-chemistry and voltage will do.

************************************************ ****

Old March 27th 05, 02:32 AM
Joe S.

I have an old PCS3000 -- at least I think that's the model number.

In June 2003 we sold our house and moved into an apartment. Then, in Jan
2005 we moved from NE TN to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and are building a
house. As a result, all my gear is in storage except for a FT-857D in my
truck -- so -- I don't recall the Azden model number.

But -- I do recall replacing the battery. I just unsoldered the dead NiCad
and soldered in one of like voltage. Sort of tight space to work in but
that's all it took.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old March 27th 05, 10:38 PM
Joseph Fenn

wrote:

am I the only one left who still uses the AZDEN pcs3000 for base
station use on VHF (2meters)????
Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
* Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *

73 for now
Buck
N4PGW

The PCS3000 did'nt have any Nicad inside it. It had a tiny
2 pin plug that you powered via your 12v dc supply which in turn
kept any of the freqcys you put in its 8 chnls in memory.
so we must be talkin about another AZDEN
Joe

Old March 28th 05, 12:08 AM
Rob Stampfli

In article et,
Joseph Fenn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

According to my manual (and the empirical evidence, although I
have never replaced it): "The content of memory stored by the
user is backed up by the nickel-cadmium battery..." It's listed
elsewhere as being a 4.8V battery, so it's probably four cells.
They must have used a good one, too, as mine still holds a
charge as long as it is used regularly.

The old PCS3000 is a quirky rig, but it sure has a sensitive
front end, even after all these years.

Rob
Old March 28th 05, 02:48 AM
Joe S.

Maybe it's not a 3000 -- I really don't recall -- all I know is that I
unsoldered or cut the leads or somehow removed a NiCad similar to the ones
used in early computers and replaced it with one that had longer leads so it
would be easy to replace next time.

--

-----

va.net...