Old April 10th 05, 08:04 PM
Dick

Default Mobile radio - CB, FRS, or 2-meter ham?

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:11:28 GMT, "Omega"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
: My view - as a longtime ham-radio operator who used to diss CB - and
: who has actually has used 2-meter simplex during a major area disaster
: to locate one of the very few area gas stations still with electricity
: to pump gas - is that a good mobile CB setup is better for emergencies
: than a good mobile 2-meter setup. That's because the CB will go
: further simplex (no repeater) than the 2-meter rig will when repeaters
: are either down or tied up due to an emergency - or if you are in some
: locale either lacking repeater coverage or where you don't know the
: active local 2-meter repeater. The "idiot days" of CB - when every car
: had one - are long over here in North Carolina; only truckers, hunters,
: and farmers seem to have mobile rigs here now. I now use CB almost to
: the total exclusion of 2-meter - though I have excellent setups for
: both in my car.
: FRS does have its uses. Like keeping in contact with others on
: campouts, skiing, or in limited areas in Iraq (now a major use). A
: major downside of FRS is the total inability to attach a good antenna.

I really have to disagree with that. There is no way a 4-watt output
AM CB is going to communicate as far as a 50-watt output FM 2-meter
radio to a 5/8-wave antenna on the roof. In addition, if you are
talking about a real emergency, like a forest fire, where ARES/RACES
has been activated, the local hams will set up a portable repeater on
2-meters if the normal repeaters have been compromised. There is a
place for CB, and many have both, but it's not because CB has a
greater range simplex than does a good 2-meter radio setup.

Dick - W6CCD
Old April 10th 05, 10:30 PM
Brenda Ann

news
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I have talked from Tigard to east Portland on a stock AM CB with no
problems. I cannot make the same trip with 2m rig (even a 75 watt setup and
a 5/8 antenna) because of intervening terrain. QRP HF does have it's
benefits.

Old April 11th 05, 01:28 AM
Dick

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

If you did, one of you had a fixed antenna, like a beam or quad. Or
one of you was on a hill. Did you have exactly the same conditions on
both ends? Same locations, similar antennas, etc.? I.E. if there was
a beam on one end for CB, was there a similar gain beam on 2-meters?
I have used CB from all kinds of vehicles since it was originally
authorized, and 2-meters since it had commercially available equipment
(over 50 years) and I have never seen a situation where an unmodified
CB could under similar conditions outdo 2-meters. Unless we are
talking about skip of course, and there would be no skip between
Tigard and Phoenix. Typically, you are lucky if you can get 5 miles
mobile to mobile with stock CB's.
Old April 12th 05, 04:18 AM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:28:46 -0700, Dick LeadWinger wrote:

If you did, one of you had a fixed antenna, like a beam or quad. Or
one of you was on a hill. Did you have exactly the same conditions on
both ends? Same locations, similar antennas, etc.? I.E. if there was
a beam on one end for CB, was there a similar gain beam on 2-meters?
I have used CB from all kinds of vehicles since it was originally
authorized, and 2-meters since it had commercially available equipment
(over 50 years) and I have never seen a situation where an unmodified
CB could under similar conditions outdo 2-meters. Unless we are
talking about skip of course, and there would be no skip between
Tigard and Phoenix. Typically, you are lucky if you can get 5 miles
mobile to mobile with stock CB's.

It's been awhile, but on the highway, I seem to recall about 3, 4,
maybe 5 miles, max, with my old Rat-shack 5-watt AM CB rig, on flat
mid-Texas plains.

When I tune the local simplex frequency on 2-meter FM, I hear guys all
over a city of a million folks talking with decent strength.

bob
k5qwg

Old April 12th 05, 06:28 AM
Dick

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:18:40 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

[...]

I agree completely. And I see I should have said between Tigard and
Portland, not Phoenix. Must be because I live in Arizona. :-)

Dick - W6CCD

Old April 12th 05, 06:54 AM
Brenda Ann

wrote:

[...]

Well see, now.. that's the problem.. y'all are flatlanders.

Yes, most any amount of power on VHF will go for astounding distances (I've
talked with 4 watts from Salem to a repeater on the WA side of the Columbia
River, about 60 miles distant) over flat land or to a high point. Problem
is, Oregon doesn't have a lot of flat land, especially the Portland area.
Hell, we have an extinct volcano right there in town, plus several other
hills, including the west hills between Portland and Tigard (about 14
miles). To talk simplex with my friend over in Tigard on 2m, I had to use a
beam and bounce my signal off a commercial radio tower on top of Healey
Heights.

Old April 30th 05, 05:40 AM

Dick wrote:
I really have to disagree with that. There is no way a 4-watt output

AM CB is going to communicate as far as a 50-watt output FM 2-meter
radio to a 5/8-wave antenna on the roof.

But CB is likely to find more people - especially more local people
- in many areas. CB is much more likely to find the guy in the pickup
two cars ahead of you who just filled up after most gas stations in
your county lost power in a major storm and with it the ability to pump
gas - and thus tell you which are the few area stations that you can
fill up at.
My area (Burlington, North Carolina) is fortunate to have a lot of
downsized AT&T hams - so finding someone local on 2 meters is easy.
But MANY areas aren't that way.

No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW