Old January 12th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default european full privilege ham licence in USA ?

Hi,

A question about european ham licences used in the USA.
Now that FCC suppressed the Element 1 from the regulation (CW), what the
matter with the foreign licensed ham of CEPT class 2 (HAREC B) working from
the USA ?

Recall : In Europe, all HAREC B are either old VHF amateurs or all new
amateurs whising to get the full privilege licence who, thanks to WRC2003,
can now work on all HF bands without restrictions. So it is equivalent to
the US Extra licence.

Can those amateurs owner of an HAREC B certificate get an Extra class
licence if they work from the US ? If they cannot, what licence will they
get ? Do they still need to succeed an examination to work in all the HF
spectrum from the US ?

At last, an european amateur owner of HAREC A certificate (the old one
requiring the CW) can he get an US Extra class by simple exchange or has he
also to succeed an exam ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry

Old January 13th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

OK. You confirmed what I thought.
FCC philosophy is strange and severe because in all Europe for example, once
you get your CEPT licence you can get the licence and work from any other
european country without having to pass again some examens.
e;g. I own an ON4 licence. If I live in LX I can get the LX full privilege
licence based on the reciprocity of CEPT (or rather the HAREC reciprocity).

Thanks for the info.

Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/

wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:43:44 +0100, Thierry wrote:

Hi,

A question about european ham licences used in the USA.
Now that FCC suppressed the Element 1 from the regulation (CW), what the
matter with the foreign licensed ham of CEPT class 2 (HAREC B) working
from
the USA ?

In the flurry of stuff I have been reading it sticks in my mind that a
statement came out that any CEPT license gave amateur extra
prveliedges here in the usa

or rather this WILL be the case 30 day after the new rules are
published in a particular place in the USA Govt paperwork which has
not yet happened

Recall : In Europe, all HAREC B are either old VHF amateurs or all new
amateurs whising to get the full privilege licence who, thanks to WRC2003,
can now work on all HF bands without restrictions. So it is equivalent to
the US Extra licence.

Can those amateurs owner of an HAREC B certificate get an Extra class
licence if they work from the US ? If they cannot, what licence will they
get ? Do they still need to succeed an examination to work in all the HF
spectrum from the US ?

geting a USlicens no they would out tests visting the will (after the
point above) be able to opeate as US extras

At last, an european amateur owner of HAREC A certificate (the old one
requiring the CW) can he get an US Extra class by simple exchange or has
he
also to succeed an exam ?

vistior can use thier license as I undertsand everybody geting a
license in the USA takes th e US test in force at that monet

Thanks in advance

Thierry

http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Old January 13th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Please check the ARRL website (www.arrl.org) for details on foreign hams
operating in the US. The individual replying to your original question
isn't completely correct.

The following is quoted from www.arrl.org

BEGIN QUOTE

Foreign Amateurs who wish to operate in the US may do so if the country of
which they are a citizen and amateur licensee has entered into a bilateral
or multilateral reciprocal operating agreement with the US. Such agreements
can include a reciprocal licensing agreement, CEPT license, or IARP permit.
No additional permit is required -- simply bring your original license,
issued by your home country when you visit the US; and be sure to identify
your station while operating by the US call district identifier (e.g.,
followed by your non-US call sign.W3/G1ABC).

If your country of Citizenship and Amateur Licensing is not named in the
lists of countries that have such agreements with the US, then no operating
agreement is in effect between the US and that country--and operation is not
possible in the US based on your home license. Should you wish to seek such
an agreement between your home country and the US for the future, you may
want to contact your national Amateur Radio society to request that they
contact the responsible government official to request such an agreement
with the US.

Operation in the US by any person is possible if you seek a US amateur
license. Any person, other than a representative of a foreign government,
can do so. Once a person is prepared to take the US license examinations,
licensing is possible in as little as a few days to a week. A US mailing
address is required for application purposes. Information about US licensing
is available elsewhere on the Web site. If a US license is held, no other
reciprocal operating authority may be used.

END QUOTE

As you can see, there is some reciprocity with the CEPT license. If the
person is from a country with a reciprocity agreement, CEPT license, or IARP
permit, there is no need to take the US tests. If your country is NOT
covered under one of these three, a person can then get a US license and
operate.

Please check this for yourself with the ARRL. Information on public
newsgroups is often incomplete or even downright WRONG.

73, Dee, N8UZE