Old April 27th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Question on Callsign after FCC license upgrade (USA)

Hi folks,

I'm optimistic that someone here is a VE, a recent license upgradee, or
otherwise knowledgeable person who can solve a couple issues for me. Fingers
crossed--here goes:

Yesterday's FCC report shows the approval of my FCC amateur radio license
upgrade from General to Extra. Whew, I'm there. But when I took and passed
my Extra exam a couple weeks ago, I checked and initialed the box on the
application stating that I wanted to "Request to change a station call sign
systematically" yet my FCC file shows that I chose NOT to make that request.
Consequently, I remain with my over ten year old Callsign from Region 8
while I now reside in Region 7. Was this an oversight on the part of the FCC
or are they ignoring requests made when passing an exam for a license
upgrade (through the ARRL VEC if that matters) for a systematic Callsign
change?

I know that I can go onto the FCC's ULS, log on, and request a systematic
change to my Callsign, but another issue needs clarification before I do
that. Now that I'm an Amateur Extra, I expect to be in Group A for
systematic sequential Callsign assignment

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...s_1&id=amateur

but from my FCC file, I see that I'm still listed in Group D. My fear is
that if I now make a request for a systematic callsign change online, even
as an Extra, that I'll be given a KE7xxx Callsign since I'm in Group D yet,
according to the FCC. Shouldn't my Group have been changed to "A" when I
became an Extra so that a request for a systematic Callsign change would
make me a AD7xx (rather than the KE7xxx that I fear)?

Here's hoping someone can and will offer assistance. Thanks in advance.

--
---

Craig, KC8BGV

Old April 27th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

"Craig" wrote in message
[...]

The group code listed is that of your current call sign and is not the group
eligibility code. So applying for a new systematic call should not be a
problem.

As far as checking the new call sign box on your upgrade form, you should
have got a new call then with your upgrade. It is quite common to get a new
call simultaneously with the upgrade. It was simply human error. They have
been swamped with upgrade applications so I'm not surprised if they make a
mistake now and then.

Dee, N8UZE
ARRL VE
W5YI VE

Old May 4th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

"Craig" wrote in message
[...]

Amrending your data showing a change of address should get you a new call. I
believe you can do this from the FCC website now.

FA: Kenwood TM-742A Upgrade Kit!! Upgrade your old TM-x41A Amateur Radio Station W5CIA Swap 0 June 17th 06 11:49 PM
A question about amateur license examination in the US [email protected] name CB 37 April 23rd 05 09:07 PM
Vanity callsign question Ed Equipment 6 December 26th 04 04:35 PM
Vanity callsign question Ed Equipment 0 December 26th 04 05:40 AM
Tech+ to General upgrade question N2EY Policy 5 July 6th 03 04:43 AM