Old May 20th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default need advice on initial station setup

I need to figure out what the best antenna/ground setup is for my
first rig. I have been putting off setting it up because my
circumstances are fairly difficult. Basically, I need a decent
antenna setup, but can't put something up 40ft in the air. I don't
have any big trees nearby or any structures that high up to hang the
antenna on. Ideally I'd like a multi-freq antenna setup that is
either free-standing/not too tall or doesn't need to be up higher than
maybe 20ft or so. Also, I'm trying to figure out what to do about a
ground hookup. I'm renting a house and it's not obvious how extensive
a ground hookup I can make (i.e. I don't know if the landlord will
appreciate me burying several deep pipes in the backyard for a solid
ground reference). CAn anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

Old May 20th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

On May 20, 5:06 pm, Jeff wrote:

Basically, I need a decent antenna setup, but can't put
something up 40ft in the air. I don't have any big trees nearby
or any structures that high up to hang the antenna on. Ideally
I'd like a multi-freq antenna setup that is either free-standing/not
too tall or doesn't need to be up higher than maybe 20ft or so.

Your best bet to start out would seem to be a multi-band vertical.
There are many good choices out there from GAP, HyGain, Hustler,
Butternut. Many (most?) are self-supporting or require only minimal
guying with light nylon line. Pound a pipe into the ground, mount
the antenna, and string a few radials, and you'll be on the air.

73, de Hans, K0HB