Old May 23rd 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Looking for field testers of PIC based Morse Code Practice QSO generator.

I have recently completed a low cost, portable, battery operated, PIC
(18F2620) powered Morse code practice QSO generator project called
"WalkMorse". The code in it is about 5000 lines of "C", which compiles
to almost a full 64K bytes.

I plan to publish an article and open source the code, however I am
looking for some people interested in reading my draft article and
building a prototype (with as little as 1 external component needed).
If you are interested, read on.

The goal of WalkMorse is to generate unique random QSOs that never
repeat, allowing you to listen for practice to improve your copy. It
is NOT really meant to be used to learn code, so does not have a lot
of different setups to generate different lessons, etc. like the MFJ
units.

I traded off that flexibility to allow it to generate an almost
infinite supply of long QSOs that never repeat, and have a lot of
variety, optimized for copy practice when you already know the code.
Speed goes from 12 to 40 wpm (fixed or variable by QSO) and tone
700-800 Hz (fixed or variable by QSO).

Pictures, some sample QSOs and schematic are at:

http://www.thecountygeek.com/walkmorse.htm

I am using it to listen to Morse Code every day in my vehicle during
my commute, and find it is helping my copy. I am interested in
submitting an article to QST (or another publication) but would like
to get some help with the following from some fellow CW fans:

1) Read my article and give me feedback. What needs to be added or
taken away?

2) Build a prototype and give me feedback on both the construction and
the operation. Is it easy to duplicate? Are the random QSOs good
practice? What needs to be added or taken away?

I have had a couple of fellows build one and they work OK, the problem
is that they are not really CW folks and can't give me a lot of
feedback on the QSOs generated.

If you are interested in building one and using it, you can do one of
the following:

1) Email me and I will email you the documentation, schematics,
pictures, and HEX file (the PIC is an 18F2620).

2) If you do not have the ability to program an 18F2620, I will send
you a pre-programmed PIC for $15 US (basically my cost). I have 10 pre-
programmed chips available, and as an added incentive I will refund
the full amount to the first 2 people to complete one and send me
pictures and a review

Anyone that builds one and provides me feedback (and photos if
possible) will get credit if my article is published.

NOTE: I am in the process of moving this summer, so sometimes my mail
response may be a bit slow. I did, however want to see if I could get
some feedback on this so I can submit the article in the fall.

Thanks a lot

Eric Pierce
OR
www.va3ep.net

Old May 24th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

The "QSOs" in the samples on your website remind me of a song by, well,
I don't know who they were, and they probably only ever had one song,
but one of the lines in the song was something like

"Hold a chicken in the air, learn to speak Irapaho, and pretend your
name is Keith".

The lyrics were all generated randomly by computer, and were mildly
humorous, but kinda sucked. Like your "QSOs".

I'm not belittling your efforts. The software is probably excellent. The
intention is good. But the delivery is, well, strir-fry an iguanadon in
pink parchment with a side saddle.
===

Old May 30th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

On May 23, 9:19 pm, Alistair Thomson wrote:
The "QSOs" in the samples...
all generated randomly by computer, and were mildly
humorous, but kinda sucked. Like your "QSOs".

Yes, you are 100% correct.

The idea is to generate unique strings of words in the form of morse
code QSOs.

I agree 100% that they are in many cases non-sensical ... adding all
kinds of rules to guarantee that would exceed the capability of the
small processor used.

The best way to practice morse code is on the air.... but when you
can't get on, listening to "WalkMorse" is better than listening to
nothing. When you get to the point when you can head copy WalkMorse at
25-30 wpm, AND recognise and laugh at the nonsense on the fly, then
your copy is getting pretty good :-)

Eric

Practice morse code bob General 6 March 7th 06 02:43 AM
Morse Code (audio) to text converter for Pocket PC - Beta Testers? Julian Bunn General 7 April 4th 04 10:31 PM
FA: Various Ham Radio Morse Code (CW) Practice and Instructional Tapes Ken Equipment 4 August 24th 03 11:05 PM
FA: Various Ham Radio Morse Code (CW) Practice and Instructional Tapes Ken Equipment 0 August 23rd 03 07:00 PM
FA: Various Ham Radio Morse Code (CW) Practice and Instructional Tapes Ken General 0 August 23rd 03 07:00 PM