Old March 31st 04, 12:07 AM
Julian Bunn

Default Morse Code (audio) to text converter for Pocket PC - Beta Testers?

I have a beta version of a utility for the Pocket PC (2003 and Windows
Mobile) that converts Morse code to text. The Morse code is picked up
by the Pocket PC's built-in microphone, which needs to be in proximity
to the radio's speaker(or could be electrically connected to the radio
in the case of Pocket PC devices that have a headset jack). A simple
DSP algorithm then identifies the code stream and converts it to text.

My initial tests show good recognition for Farnsworth rates from ~5 to
20 WPM, independent of the carrier tone.

The text is shown in a scrolling window, and can be saved to a file on
the Pocket PC.

I'm looking for a few Beta testers who would be interested in trying
this out "in the field" and providing some feedback. I'm by no means
an expert (i.e. I'm a complete novice) in SW or listening to Morse, so
have no idea if this utility is really useful or of interest to people
who are keen SW/shortwave types.

Please contact me if a) you'd like to try the software and b) you have
a Pocket PC device. I'd also be interested to hear from people who
would like a Windows version of the software (rather easy to do).

Thanks,
Julian
Old March 31st 04, 02:15 AM
Dan/W4NTI

I am interested in a BETA test for a windows platform. I run 98 and have
the sound card interfaced to the computer. I am also quite good at Morse,
so I could give you a good test out.

Dan/W4NTI

om...

Old March 31st 04, 05:23 AM
John Smith

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...
I am interested in a BETA test for a windows platform. I run 98 and have
the sound card interfaced to the computer. I am also quite good at Morse,
so I could give you a good test out.

Dan/W4NTI

The man said "PocketPC 2003", not win 98. Completely different. Apples and
oranges. There are plently of morse decoders for regular PC's, dating back
to like 1992. Get yerself a pocketpc, Dan. Get rid of that old win 98
dinosaur desktop.

de KR4AJ

Old April 2nd 04, 04:43 AM
Tony P.

In article , djfinn2
@nobellspsoutham.net says...

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...
I am interested in a BETA test for a windows platform. I run 98 and have
the sound card interfaced to the computer. I am also quite good at Morse,
so I could give you a good test out.

Dan/W4NTI

The man said "PocketPC 2003", not win 98. Completely different. Apples and
oranges. There are plently of morse decoders for regular PC's, dating back
to like 1992. Get yerself a pocketpc, Dan. Get rid of that old win 98
dinosaur desktop.

Bah! There are some of us who didn't buy completely into the Microsoft
paradigm. The Palm OS works pretty well too.

Granted, most of the Palm variants don't have the feature set a Pocket
PC does. My Win CE Uniden PC-Pro has all the bells and whistles (audio
in/out, a modem, etc.) but it eats batteries for lunch.

Power hungry devices, that's what Pocket PC's are.

Old April 2nd 04, 08:01 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...
I am interested in a BETA test for a windows platform. I run 98 and

have
the sound card interfaced to the computer. I am also quite good at

Morse,
so I could give you a good test out.

Dan/W4NTI

The man said "PocketPC 2003", not win 98. Completely different. Apples and
oranges. There are plently of morse decoders for regular PC's, dating back
to like 1992. Get yerself a pocketpc, Dan. Get rid of that old win 98
dinosaur desktop.

de KR4AJ

Go re-read what he sent. And I will tell him to quite sending me the
program for my antique desk top.

Gotta go, need to crank it up and see how it plays.

See ya.

Dan/W4NTI

Old April 4th 04, 01:08 AM
Julian Bunn

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message link.net...
"John Smith" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry for any confusion: I have versions for Pocket PC *and* for
Windows. I'm afraid that Dan's Windows 98 is a bit too old for the
run-time I'm using, but it works on Windows XP/2003 (haven't tried on
ME). If you want to download a copy, you can get it from:
http://bofinit.com/ . The user guide is on that Web site, too.

Julian
Old April 4th 04, 08:41 PM
AK

The man said "PocketPC 2003", not win 98. Completely different. Apples
and
oranges. There are plently of morse decoders for regular PC's, dating

back
to like 1992. Get yerself a pocketpc, Dan. Get rid of that old win 98
dinosaur desktop.

de KR4AJ

Sorry for any confusion: I have versions for Pocket PC *and* for
Windows. I'm afraid that Dan's Windows 98 is a bit too old for the
run-time I'm using, but it works on Windows XP/2003 (haven't tried on
ME). If you want to download a copy, you can get it from:
http://bofinit.com/ . The user guide is on that Web site, too.

Julian

Darn! Was hoping you had a DOS version for my AT system that uses CT-8 and
EQF-9 for contests and logging. It may be old, but never needs re-booting
when the contests are going on.
I do retreat to a Windows ME machine for the Cabrillo conversions. K4YKZ

Old April 4th 04, 10:31 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"John Smith" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the tries Julian. My oldest son, the 'computer guru' is making
me a new puter. So, perhaps I can be up to date eventually. hi.

Dan/W4NTI