Old July 27th 03, 05:16 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

Default FUD ALERT !!!!! (was With CW gone, can the CW allocations be far behind?)

"Joe Collins" wrote in message
Now that Bruce Parens and NCI have won the CW wars, what will happen
to the exclusive CW allocations if a CW requirement is dropped?

WHAT "exclusive CW allocations" ??? Are you talking about
50.0-50.1 MHz and 144.0-144.1 MHz??? If not, you're operating
under a serious misunderstanding of the FCC rules and should
consider some remedial study ... you are a licensed ham, right?
(You should, therefore, know these things ...)

Certainly there can be no argument for keeping the current band
structure in place, and phone operations probably ought to be spread
out into what was once exclusively reserved for CW operators. Not
only would this alleviate the congestion in the phone bands, but it
would finally and officially place CW into perspective: Just another
optional mode of operation without any exclusive rights to any
frequency.

Certainly there should NOT be an expansion of the phone bands
(this is my *personal* opinion), as that would constrain the development
of modern digital modes in (what you think is "exclusive CW allocations."

--
Carl R. Stevenson - wk3c
Grid Square FN20fm
http://home.ptd.net/~wk3c
NCI-1052
Executive Director, No Code International
Fellow, The Radio Club of America
Senior Member, IEEE
Member, IEEE Standards Association
Chair, IEEE 802.18 Radio Regulatory Technical Advisory Group
Member, Wi-Fi Alliance Spectrum Committee
Co-Chair, Wi-Fi Alliance Legislative Committee
Member, QCWA (31424)
Member, ARRL
Member, TAPR
Member, The SETI League
Join No Code International! Hams for the 21st Century.
Help assure the survival and prosperity of ham radio.
http://www.nocode.org

Old July 27th 03, 08:57 PM
Jim Hampton

Mike, I agree it *is* a reasonable argument. Myself, I would prefer that a
portion of the bands be reserved for digital modes (including cw) in the
same manner that many parking lots used to have a number of spaces reserved
for small cars (I haven't seen that many in some time since cars have shrunk
considerably since the 70s). My fear is that some of the yahoos with 5 KW
capability would love to wreck havoc in the low ends of the various amateur
bands using voice modes. Besides, it makes it easier to find a station
using a mode that you may wish to use if the bands are segmented somewhat to
use.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Stu Parker wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:16:40 GMT, Carl R. Stevenson

wrote:
[snip]

Go ahead. Pick at nits. We all know what he meant.

But the point is well-taken. If CW is to be removed as a
*requirement* for a ham license, then its special status has
evaporated. Why give it any band-plan perks at all? CW operators can
already operate in the phone bands (most of them don't, but that's a
free choice), so why not accord the phone users the same freedom of
choice?

I'd be in favor of reserving a very small portion of each HF band for
rtty, psk31, etc., but I'd let all modes permitted by an operator's
license be used everywhere else.

In other words, it is legitimate and useful to reevaluate the entire
band-plan structure of the Amateur Radio Service, and it is even
thinkable that what is commonly called the "cw portion" of the bands
should be reallocated.

Well, Carl, here is a well thought out and well presented argument.
Your answer?

- Mike KB3EIA -

---

Old July 27th 03, 10:09 PM
Floyd Davidson

"Jim Hampton" wrote:
Mike, I agree it *is* a reasonable argument. Myself, I would prefer that a
portion of the bands be reserved for digital modes (including cw) in the
same manner that many parking lots used to have a number of spaces reserved
for small cars (I haven't seen that many in some time since cars have shrunk
considerably since the 70s). My fear is that some of the yahoos with 5 KW
capability would love to wreck havoc in the low ends of the various amateur
bands using voice modes. Besides, it makes it easier to find a station
using a mode that you may wish to use if the bands are segmented somewhat to
use.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

It is not a reasonable argument. It has logical and technical
flaws which make that particular commentary quite worthless.

"Mike Coslo" wrote:
Stu Parker wrote:

But the point is well-taken. If CW is to be removed as a
*requirement* for a ham license, then its special status has
evaporated.

That is an absurd statement which cannot be supported logically.
(It says: The apples are ripe, so lets pick the oranges today.)

All that has happened is that CW has changed its status from a
separately tested requirement, to being one of many modes which
random questions on the written exam will refer to. That change
affects the *testing* only; it has *nothing* to do with the
technical requirements which are the basis for band allocation.
(Testing is apples; band allocation is oranges.)

There are many modes with "special status", none of which have
ever been a "requirement" for a ham license. CW is now (or
shortly will be) no different, in that respect. We still have
"special status" in band allocations for digital modes, slow
scan TV, SSB, AM, FM, and yes, CW. The basis for those
allocations has not changed.

The allocations may indeed be ripe for a few changes, but not
because the test requirements were changed.

Why give it any band-plan perks at all? CW operators can
already operate in the phone bands (most of them don't, but that's a
free choice), so why not accord the phone users the same freedom of
choice?

That is not technically sound.

An essentially narrow band mode like CW is not nearly the
interference problem to wide band modes like SSB and AM that the
wide band modes are to the narrow band modes. Hence, no phone
in the CW band by regulation, but the same is not required to
keep CW out of the phone band.

Not that it would hurt anything to ban CW from the phone bands,
just that it isn't needed.

I'd be in favor of reserving a very small portion of each HF band for
rtty, psk31, etc., but I'd let all modes permitted by an operator's
license be used everywhere else.

A more reasonable approach is the current arrangement, though it
probably is time to consider some adjustments to the amount of
spectrum allocated to narrow band digital modes vs. wide band
phone modes.

A shift of 25 to 100 KHz from most of the HF CW bands over to
the phone bands would not necessarily be a bad thing. But it
would certainly cause a lot of noise if it were proposed, and
hence might take many years to accomplish. Therefore it
probably should be proposed now, and in 20 years when it becomes
reality, it will only be 10-15 years late... ;-)

Regardless, it is _technically_ not wise to allow wide band
operation in the narrow band digital band segments, and for
that reason I doubt the FCC will ever entertain the idea.

In other words, it is legitimate and useful to reevaluate the entire
band-plan structure of the Amateur Radio Service, and it is even
thinkable that what is commonly called the "cw portion" of the bands
should be reallocated.

That paragraph is correct. It's just the ideas given above for
the causative factors, the affected factors, and what the
methods should be that were wrong!

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old July 27th 03, 10:39 PM
helmsman

On 27 Jul 2003 13:09:25 -0800, Floyd Davidson
wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Thanks for the tour of Alaska. Mighty fine page!!

Old July 27th 03, 11:15 PM
Floyd Davidson

wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Thanks for the tour of Alaska. Mighty fine page!!

Quyanapuk! which is "a big thanks" in the way my neighbors
would say it in Inupiaq.

Some day I'll add some more pictures, and finish the descriptions
of each of the North Slope villages. One other thing I should do
is add a URL for Barrow weather, as it is often just as interesting
as pictures. Right now, for example!

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PABR.html

Typical late-July/early-August day. Here's another URL that you
may also get a kick out of, as it shows where the Arctic ice
pack is.

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/data/ice/graphics/acij23a.gif

We've had two boats show up off shore already, but as can be
seen in the satellite images, getting any farther east than
Barrow would be a bit difficult except for the one that was a
Coast Guard icebreaker. That ice will clear out by late
August and early September, and barges will be able to make
it to Prudhoe Bay which is 200 some miles east of here.

Old July 28th 03, 01:01 AM
Mike Coslo

Jim Hampton wrote:
Mike, I agree it *is* a reasonable argument. Myself, I would prefer that a
portion of the bands be reserved for digital modes (including cw) in the
same manner that many parking lots used to have a number of spaces reserved
for small cars (I haven't seen that many in some time since cars have shrunk
considerably since the 70s). My fear is that some of the yahoos with 5 KW
capability would love to wreck havoc in the low ends of the various amateur
bands using voice modes. Besides, it makes it easier to find a station
using a mode that you may wish to use if the bands are segmented somewhat to
use.

All good points, Jim. The US method does indeed work pretty well, and
hams who disregard it with bookoo power could indeed make a mmess of it.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 28th 03, 02:03 AM
Bill Sohl

wrote:
[...]

Mike,

As another NCI director, I'd tell Stu that IF he feels strongly
about his suggestion, he could submit a petition for
rulemaking to the FCC.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old July 28th 03, 02:47 AM
Mike Coslo

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have previously voiced my view that I do NOT favor phone band
expansion, as the CW/data portions would be over-run with SSB.

That would thwart the development of new digital modes and IMHO,
be a bad thing.

Okay, I was hoping for a little more than just that though. Because if
someone comes up with that argument, and your answer is simply that it
would thwart development, well then guess who is going to win?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 28th 03, 02:50 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I don't get it. You guys have lots to say to us nasty pro-coders, but
now you are pretty low key.

I have an idea, Why don't you tell Stu just that, not me? Do you agree
with him???

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 28th 03, 03:08 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'd bet on development ... because that's one of the fundamental
purposes amateur radio exists ... read the R&O in WT Docket
No. 98-143 (it's on the NCI website "Articles" page ... you'll
have to scroll down a ways ...)

Carl - wk3c