Old October 5th 03, 04:36 PM
Frank

Brad Kellison wrote:
On 3 Oct 2003 08:07:14 -0700, (Dave Bushong)
wrote:

"Paul \(Erie\)" wrote in message .. .

Can someone tell me what it takes in terms of how much money to start a
2-meter ham repeater?

Also, does it take extra permission from the FCC to use my repeater on a
specific 144-148 frequency?

What type of equipment is needed....any internwet links to places that sell
these sorts of things?

thanks?

Dear Sir:

Thank you for inquiring about ham repeater operation and its cost.
Repeater operation is a special privilege as there are only a handful
of frequencies available for any particular area. Repeaters, as you
will see, use TWO assigned frequencies so the cost to operate them
is somewhat higher than "regular" radio operation.

The FCC assigns call signs and verifies operators have the technical
competence to run a repeater. Actual collection of fees associated
with repeater operation are left to local amateur radio management
offices. The office assigned to your area is run by me, Dave Bushong.

Yearly fees for operating a two channel repeater (one input frequency
and one output frequency) are $2400 per year payable in full each June
1st. Repeaters that begin operation in months before June 1st pay a
prorated $200 per month for those months prior to the first of June.

It is common for repeater operators to pass along the cost of
operation to members of a ham radio club. You may have wondered why
there are so many local ham radio organizations. This is why: to
defray the costs of this yearly repeater fee. It is also easy to
tell what the costs are to each member by looking at the TONE setting
needed to use the repeater. Tones of 74.4, for example, charge $74.40
per user per year. Repeaters with no tones are donated to their
communities by their operators. Operators who are kindhearted enough
to donate their repeater to the community just pay the yearly fee
and never mention that fee to anybody (to keep folks from feeling
uncomfortable about such a generous gift).

You can get started with your repeater by sending me your first
annual payment of $2400 (or the prorated portion thereof). This
money is used to help orphans and cripples in third world
countries so we need the money in CASH please. That helps us
get the money to the needy children quickly.

I look forward to helping you get started. Remember: CASH.

Thanks again.

Dave

$2400.00 a year then $74.40 for a PL tone. Oh MY GOD! I don't know
where your are but I would never pay you that for a Ham radio repeater
on 2 meter. I know cause I owned a 440 repeater here in the USA and
it only ran me $5.00 a year thru the Repeater Council and all I paid
for the repeater totally was $1700.00 to get it up and running.
if you are going to charge like that then I can see NO repeaters on
the air in your area. Hell for $2400.00 he can by a new repeater with
PL tone already in it. set it up and use it. All he would need is
his ham license call sign cause the FCC does not assign radio club or
call signs to ham repeaters anymore.

The Western PA Repeater Council in my area charges $10 per repeater yearly.

73

Frank K3EKO