Old October 19th 03, 05:38 AM
Michael

Default Short distance 'fox' hunting?

Hello,
I was wondering if you could help me. I would like to do the
following:
Put a small transmitter onto a product for this example lets say a
model hobby rocket that will be launched using a standard hobby rocket
engine you can buy in any store. They usually don't go more than
100-200 yards or so but I would need the device to be able to locate
it in dense tree cover (woods) without being able to see exactly where
it went.
Is there a receiver that can direct me exactly to the spot where the
rocket is? (containing the beeping transmitter).
Of course there are some constraints:
- the size of the transmitter has be very small (approx 4mm wide or
less, it can be several mm's longer in length). Also the battery has
to be this small as well, possible cylindrical in shape.
- the receiver that will direct me to the transmitter also has to be a
relatively small device (like the size of a walkie talkie, if
possible)
- each of these units should be somewhat inexpensive to produce (under
$20?)
- no FCC or other federal licenses required
- relatively easy to learn and accurate if within the 100-200 yard
range

Is this possible? Does anyone know where I can find these components
or companies that can produce them?
If not, are their plans that are available where we can build our own
receiver?

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Michael
Old October 20th 03, 06:21 PM
Zack Lau

Conventional wisdom would say that this isn't possible.
But, they said that about the airplane. I'm sure they also
said that about the light bulb--you just need another Edison
to invent it--Zack Lau W1VT

BTW--there is a huge fortune awaiting the inventor--just
imagine how many parents would pay for such a device
to keep track of their kids.

om...

TX Distance question James Antenna 29 December 10th 04 02:22 AM
TX Distance question James Dx 52 November 29th 04 03:25 PM
Distance between outer ends of buried radials Steve Beyers Antenna 10 July 22nd 04 12:31 PM
distance of radio transmitter from receiver Mike Andrews Homebrew 17 January 29th 04 08:53 PM
Distance to Link Coupling in a Loop Antenna Al Antenna 6 October 28th 03 12:02 AM