Old November 5th 03, 04:30 PM
Roger Baldwin

Default Mobile FT-100D Problem

Yaesu FT 100D installed in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with roof mounted
2m/70cm antenna and a mag mount for HamStick monoband antennas. I have
HamSticks for 10m, 20m, 40m and 75m. On 10 and 20 m, everything works
well. On both 40 and 75m, the transmitter trips on high SWR even though
an antenna analyzer shows SWR of 1.3 for both antennas. Folks at HRO say
that is typical of Yaesu equipment and have no suggestions. I've emailed
Yaesu but have not gotten a response.

Anyone here have any ideas on solutions?

Roger Baldwin
kg6ras
Old November 5th 03, 06:11 PM
Frank Krozel

I have both a FT-100 plain and a D....
I would make sure that you have a good "strap" ground connecting all.
Start at the antenna, go to the tuner then to the radio then to chassis.
In addition, use a very short lead for the radio ground, and go directly to
the battery for plus.
I have seen that the FT-100 is just a bit more susceptible to RF than my
Icom 706's but I did resolve my RF problem with proper grounding.
I run a big ugly bugcatcher and on top of that an 8' whip! Works
75/40/20/17 v-e-r-y well..
If I was Yaesu, I would fire HRO for such a statement. Perhaps that was
"just" the sales guy's spin, not HRO's statement.
Frank KG9H

Old November 6th 03, 08:34 PM
Steve Nosko

Wonder where the RF is getting into the radio. Can you slowly increase the
power out until you see some effect, then start grabbing wires or putting on
beads. An in-line SWR bridge may be a help. When I put my 706 into a
Camry, I put 5-6 of those 1 inch beads on the coax right at the antenna
because the in-line SWR bridge (one of those with the connector on each end
and the coupled lines inside w/ meter & fwd-rev switch, from the 1960's)
bounced all over with the position of the _MIC_!

How about clamp-on beads on the coax AND/OR power leads.

Adding to what Frank said:
Be sure you have a good ground at the base of the antenna. You want to
keep RFoff the coax. I believe that if you find that grounding at the radio
is important, then you havent kept RF off the coax at the antenna. I made a
short gound strap from the antanna mount to the trunk lid (trunk-lip mount),
then still needed the beads to fix it. Would have liked to run a strap also
to the fender, but that, ain't easy and still allow the trunk to open.

"guards, Steve K9DCI

I have a mobile problem Jerry General 4 October 8th 03 01:45 PM
Weird Mobile Problem Dan/W4NTI General 15 August 19th 03 12:40 AM
Weird Mobile Problem Michael J. Donohue VE3YF Antenna 4 August 14th 03 02:15 AM
Mobile Icom 706MKIIg shielding problem ? Jim Dolson Equipment 6 August 4th 03 12:00 PM
Mobile Icom 706MKIIg shielding problem ? Jim Dolson Equipment 0 August 4th 03 12:25 AM