Old December 31st 03, 02:14 AM
JJ

RHF wrote:

The Devil Is In The Details...
So "GS" is simply communicating his 'status' as a SWL.

All it conveys is he owns two radios and some other stuff, it conveys
nothing about his 'status' as an SWL. Just a brag list. Maybe I should
list all my ham equipment with my postings, like anyone would care.

Old December 31st 03, 02:35 AM
Telamon

In article et,
"Dwight Stewart" wrote:

"Gray Shockley" wrote:

And - of the four newsgroups - two are
for SWLers and CBers.

May I ask for as little more care when
deciding to what many newsgroups one
posts to?

Sadly, we don't always have much control over where messages are
cross-posted, Gray. Since some Hams are CB'ers and others SWL's, the
discussion itself may have actually started in one of those non-ham
newsgroups. In other cases, it is trolls (in any one of the newsgroups)
trying to belittle Ham radio and it's operators (posted to a number of
newsgroups in an effort to get the widest possible audience for that). In
still other cases, the discussion started in a ham radio newsgroup, with
other newsgroups added by participants who mainly frequent those other
newsgroups. Whatever the case, you're certainly not alone - we get our share
of messages relating to other topics posted in the Ham radio newsgroups as
well.

You have plenty of control. Just delete the groups where this is OT like
I did.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 31st 03, 03:49 AM
gw

JJ wrote in message ...
Gray Shockley wrote:

The great majority of hams are nice people and they sure do justify more than
their hobby when there's an emergency. But why they think that SWLer's are
interested in /their/ hobby still puzzles me.

And then he includes this.

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio w/RS Loop
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

hey john how are things in colorado springs???

Why you think hams are interested in what radios and antennas you use to
SWL with is beyond me.

Old December 31st 03, 07:15 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Telamon" wrote:

You have plenty of control. Just delete
the groups where this is OT like I did.

At which point, since you don't know which newsgroup the person is posting
from, you potentially lose contact with the person you're responding to.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 31st 03, 02:43 PM
Dee D. Flint

"JEP" wrote in message
om...
Just my point. I don't want to belong to ARRL just as I don't care to
belong to AARP, NRA, AAA, Skinheads, etc. I just want to read their
magazine when it has something that interests me. I wouldn't buy it
every month as most of the time it has useless drivel about some
clowntest or whether someone died or some such crap. ARRL and QST have
a short time left as the active Ham population lessens.

Well then you can't expect the magazine to be sold at outlets when you only
buy it once in a while. They've got to recoup the costs of printing and
distributing and the "once in a while" buyer just doesn't provide that.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 31st 03, 03:08 PM
Bill Sohl

"JEP" wrote in message
om...
Just my point. I don't want to belong to ARRL just as I don't care to
belong to AARP, NRA, AAA, Skinheads, etc.

Can you "just buy" the magazines of AARP, NRA, AAA, etc.
without joining? I am always amazed at people that want the "benefits"
of an organization's efforts, in this case the publication, but don't want
to support the organization by joining. I see the same thing at times
in the antique car hobby. People that bitch about the club rules
at a car show, or otherwise want technical help from club officials
but won't part with the few bucks it takes to join.

I just want to read their
magazine when it has something that interests me. I wouldn't buy it
every month as most of the time it has useless drivel about some
clowntest or whether someone died or some such crap. ARRL and QST have
a short time left as the active Ham population lessens.

Is it lessening? News to me.

If they took a
real survey as to how many real active ham there are they would find
the number far less than they think. I'm not talking about members,
I'm talking about HAMS that really use a radio to transmit a signal.
Doesnt matter what band. How many transmit a signal at least once a
week? Most don't.

Please provide your survey data.

Look at your local HAM clubs, talk to the members(if you can wake them
up). Most show up and act disgusted with the club, Ham radio, life in
general. New folks are never there. Ya I know about your Skywarn in
Flint, MI. Great service! Could be run on CB, NEXTEL, GMRS.

Could be but isn't...there in lies the difference.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old December 31st 03, 03:56 PM
Radioman

I'm talking about HAMS that really use a radio to transmit a signal.
Doesnt matter what band. How many transmit a signal at least once a
week? Most don't.

If that HAM is active on CB, does that count? It's a radio signal.
Old December 31st 03, 05:20 PM
JJ

JEP wrote:
Just my point. I don't want to belong to ARRL just as I don't care to
belong to AARP, NRA, AAA, Skinheads, etc. I just want to read their
magazine when it has something that interests me. I wouldn't buy it
every month as most of the time it has useless drivel about some
clowntest or whether someone died or some such crap.

Then go to your library and read it, assuming you know what a library is.

Old December 31st 03, 05:22 PM
JJ

gw wrote:

hey john how are things in colorado springs???

???