Old January 5th 04, 01:08 AM
Robert Casey

Default New Year's Eve Record Set

M. Boker wrote:

Initial assessments from monitoring groups and other observers
indicates a record number of pirates, unlicensed broadcasters,
& intruders took to the airwaves New Year's Eve and New Year's
Day across the U.S.

Today with the Internet with the World Wide Web, it seems pointless to
bother with pirate broadcasting. If I had a message I wanted heard (or
read) I'd set up a web page. If I wanted people to hear my garage band's
music, I could upload the mp3s to that web page. The web page would
be available 24/7 world wide. A pirate station will only have a very
limited
range and time period, and most people interested in your material would
miss it.

Add the fact that the pirate station is rather illegal, the web page would
be the media of choice.

Old February 9th 04, 01:54 AM
noname

In article ,
says...
M. Boker wrote:

Initial assessments from monitoring groups and other observers
indicates a record number of pirates, unlicensed broadcasters,
& intruders took to the airwaves New Year's Eve and New Year's
Day across the U.S.

Today with the Internet with the World Wide Web, it seems pointless to
bother with pirate broadcasting. If I had a message I wanted heard (or
read) I'd set up a web page. If I wanted people to hear my garage band's
music, I could upload the mp3s to that web page. The web page would
be available 24/7 world wide. A pirate station will only have a very
limited
range and time period, and most people interested in your material would
miss it.

Add the fact that the pirate station is rather illegal, the web page would
be the media of choice.

There's something magical about getting on the air for real though. I
can recall jumping at the chance to run a college radio station when I
was younger even though I wasn't a student there. Why did outsiders run
it? Because the students didn't care.

Some friends and I spent three years broadcasting from there. The
experiences could never be duplicated.

Here's a small sampling:

The night security let in the beasts. We kept the studios locked but
they could see us through the studio windows. Grrrr!

The night I managed to lock myself out of the studio as a record was
just ending. Took me a good 4 hours to find a security guy who had a
key.

Having to bring the tools and soldering irons to repair the ancient
Dukane mixing board we had to deal with. Oh, and smelling that telltale
odor that we just smoked something else in the board.

Reverb was created by tuning a portable radio to the same frequency and
placing it at the back of the room on low to medium volume.

Play it backwards? All you needed was a thread spool and a pencil sub.

Doing phase crossovers by messing with the inputs to the preamps.

Digging through the record vault and finding rare old gems, dusting em'
off and playing em'.

It was too much fun. Hey, I was all of 21 at the time and it was a hell
of alot better than rolling around on the streets.

Logging recorders record both sides of a simplex channel simultaneously Mark Boatanchors 0 November 29th 04 06:36 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM