Old January 22nd 04, 05:03 PM
ARRL Philosophy

Default Totally ticked.

I canceled my Leage membership after their first restructuring proposal for
amateur radio. Now, after seeing their new proposal, I wish I had NEVER
been a member! Seems the Arrl philosophy is that: if ham radio is to
survive it MUST sound like CB.

Tee'd Off

Old January 22nd 04, 10:03 PM
Dr. Anton.T. Squeegee

In article .net,
says...

I canceled my Leage membership after their first restructuring proposal for
amateur radio. Now, after seeing their new proposal, I wish I had NEVER
been a member! Seems the Arrl philosophy is that: if ham radio is to
survive it MUST sound like CB.

Tee'd Off

Seems to me like you're getting mad at the wrong people.

Ham radio, like Life itself (I've said this before, and I'll
probably end up saying it again), is a mirror. You get back EXACTLY what
you put into it.

What you hear on the air is a reflection of the PERSONALITY of
each INDIVIDUAL operator. It has NOTHING to do with how hard they
studied for their license, or how much they know, or how many letters
they have after their name.

If ham radio is declining in the "quality" of what's heard on the
air, it's because of poor operators making life miserable for the
newbies, apparently all because of some misguided sense of loyalty. To
what or to whom this loyalty is directed, I have never understood.

Let me ask you something: Have you ever made comments on the air
that were derogatory to someone who was new to the hobby? Have you ever
adopted an air of superiority in the presence of a newbie?

If so, then YOU are part of the problem. If you do not feel you
can be civil to a new operator (remember, there was a day when NONE of
us had ever seen a microphone or transmitter, let alone operated one),
then simply ignore them and move on to something else.

The "Death of Ham Radio" has been predicted by many others for
many years. Yet, the Amateur Radio SERVICE endures to this day.
Different from what it was ten or twenty years ago, yes, but it endures.
This tells me that new licensees aren't the problem, and it tells me
that the ARRL isn't the problem.

What I see as the REAL problem are those "veterans" in the HOBBY
who have become so obsessed with their own ideas of whom is superior to
whom that they will deliberately make life on the air miserable for
anyone who doesn't measure up to their own standards. I think such
people would be doing much better to offer polite-but-firm correction to
operating errors, and be willing to SHARE their knowlege as opposed to
zealously guarding it like some grumpy dragon guarding their hoard.

You may not like the ARRL for whatever reason. Fine. That's your
choice (I'm proud to be a 'Lifer' myself). But would you find it so very
hard to remember and respect "The Amateur's Code" that they publish? It
dates all the way back to the League's founding, and the days of Hiram
Percy Maxim (without whom we wouldn't even HAVE Amateur Radio).

Chill out. The only things that will truly kill amateur radio are
forgetting its origins, WHY we have it today, and more anger and hatred
at newbies just because they have an easier time getting licensed than
some of us did.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)
Old January 22nd 04, 10:26 PM
Roger Gt

"Dr. Anton.T. Squeegee"
wrote in message
In article

nk
..net,
says...

[...]

knowledge as opposed to
zealously guarding it like some grumpy dragon

guarding their hoard.

You may not like the ARRL for whatever reason.

Fine. That's your
choice (I'm proud to be a 'Lifer' myself). But

would you find it so very
hard to remember and respect "The Amateur's

Code" that they publish? It
dates all the way back to the League's founding,

and the days of Hiram
Percy Maxim (without whom we wouldn't even HAVE

Amateur Radio).

Chill out. The only things that will truly kill

amateur radio are
forgetting its origins, WHY we have it today,

and more anger and hatred
at newbies just because they have an easier time

getting licensed than
some of us did.
--
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Right on!!!!

Like the Radio school at Ft Gordon Ga? Where
students were already learning CW and Radio theory
in classes, and at K4WAR the guys got together and
studied for their license with instructors from
the school. Like you were going to fail with all
that help? Vs the determined blind guy who
learned it on his own? Like is not Fair, it is
what you make of it!

K7DUP......

Old January 22nd 04, 11:07 PM
Mike

You should have waited until after the FCC decides what to do with the
ARRL's "suggestion". Yes, I am a Tech and was furious when I seen that they
were wanting to grandfather the Techs to General with no written test. Just
because the ARRL suggested it, does not mean that it is set in stone yet.
FCC may have other ideas. Don't forget that the ARRL does not consist of so
many X number of board members at meetings. You and the rest of us as
members have a say in these matters also. More than likely they got input
from alot of other people and tallied it all up. Yet, I still would like to
know where the idea came from about grandfathering techs with no test.
73's OM
Ticked also, Mike KC2JGA

"Roger Gt" wrote in message
m...

"Dr. Anton.T. Squeegee"
wrote in message
In article

nk
.net,
says...

Old January 23rd 04, 12:01 AM
Leo

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:03:16 -0800, Dr. Anton.T. Squeegee
wrote:

In article .net,
says...

Well said, Sir.

73, Leo

Old January 23rd 04, 05:19 AM
Milt Leskoe

"ARRL Philosophy" wrote in message
link.net...
I canceled my Leage membership after their first restructuring proposal

for
amateur radio. Now, after seeing their new proposal, I wish I had NEVER
been a member! Seems the Arrl philosophy is that: if ham radio is to
survive it MUST sound like CB.

Tee'd Off

You may have cancelled your ARRL Membership, but I am afraid
that the greater percentage of hams will continue to send their Yearly
subscription (tribute?) to the snooty yankees in their ivy covered brick
walls at 225 Main Street, just like they have continued to do so for
the past 5-10-20-30+ Years. Just like the lemmings they are, they just
cannot seem to pry themselves away from that shi+ self-serving magazine
that's in reality, more advertising than relative topic. Truly pathetic.

(Tell me, does the ink in QST still rub off onto
your thumb when you rub the print like it used
to do in the 70's and 80's - before I wised up
and left these *******s subscripton letter in file 19?)

What I mean to say is, do they still use the same thin cheap paper stock
and that
half-assed ink that not only smells like acetone solvent, but is of a worse
grade than the ink used for the daily newspaper, which is usually cheaper.
Makes you wonder if their printer back then was some
New Haven sweatshop factory, staffed with min-wage wetbacks that ducked
outta sight whenever the INS van pulled up in the parking lot out
front.....)

Old January 23rd 04, 05:33 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Mike" wrote:
(snip) Yet, I still would like to
know where the idea came from
about grandfathering techs with
no test.

I think you meant to say no "additional" written test, Mike. I suspect the
idea comes from the fact that the current Technician license already allows
HF access with the simple addition of the code test. In other words, the
current Technician license exam already covers much of the material needed
for HF access. Therefore, it makes more sense to grandfather them into a
license class with HF access than into one without. Of course, that's just
my take on it. If you really want to know why ARRL decided to do so, ask
them.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old January 23rd 04, 05:42 PM
Robert Casey

What I see as the REAL problem are those "veterans" in the HOBBY
who have become so obsessed with their own ideas of whom is superior to
whom that they will deliberately make life on the air miserable for
anyone who doesn't measure up to their own standards. I think such
people would be doing much better to offer polite-but-firm correction to
operating errors, and be willing to SHARE their knowlege as opposed to
zealously guarding it like some grumpy dragon guarding their hoard.

When I got my "extra lite" :-) I made a number of "newbie" type errors,
but soon learned.
What I don't like is when, years before on learning my way around packet
on 2m, I made
some newbie errors and then learned, but some other packet operator
assumed that
I would always make such errors and got banned off his maibox BBS. (I
hadn't distingushed
between private mailboxes and more public BBSs just yet, and posted a
general ham interest
article). A polite but firm correction would have been enough. Turns
out other people
had some problems with him....

Old January 24th 04, 05:29 AM
Lloyd Davies The GREAT TIME LORD

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Mike" wrote:
(snip) Yet, I still would like to
know where the idea came from
about grandfathering techs with
no test.

I think you meant to say no "additional" written test, Mike. I suspect

the
idea comes from the fact that the current Technician license already

allows
HF access with the simple addition of the code test. In other words, the
current Technician license exam already covers much of the material needed
for HF access. Therefore, it makes more sense to grandfather them into a
license class with HF access than into one without. Of course, that's just
my take on it. If you really want to know why ARRL decided to do so, ask
them.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

I agree with that answer. I had to take both the Novice and Tech written to
get my Tech no-code. So what? I think it's a great idea to get on HF!!