Old January 27th 04, 08:10 PM
Roger Halstead

When they came out with incentive licensing, there was a vocal
minority complaining. When they came out with the No code tech license
there was a vocal minority complaining. Now they are doing away with
most of the CW requirement and there is a vocal minority complaining.

WAyyyy back there used to be the class separation and then they did
away with it to the point where the General class had full privileges.
Then incentive licensing, then the new structure with code free techs
on VHF, then they lowered the CW speed and now they are doing away
with most of the CW requirements which are there due to international
agreements.

"To me" it matters little whether they make the requirements tech
heavy, procedure heavy, or require CW. It has little to do with the
character of those coming into the service.

Each change has brought out the "gloom and doom" element proclaiming
this will be the straw that broke the camel's back and the end of
Amateur Radio.

Maybe in addition to the technology and procedure testing we should
run a test on character traits? :-)) If we had been doing such
there would be a number of current hams who would have failed.

I have gone the whole route and yes, I passed 20 wpm to get my
license, but I don't see that need be a requirement for future
applicants.

It really doesn't matter how we test, there is always going to be a
mix of character traits and groups who oppose the way each other
operate. There will also be a small percent who will not be satisfied
no mater what is done.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 28th 04, 03:58 AM
Roger Halstead

Well... I'm gonna try again. I posted this over 8 hours ago and it's
not shown up on my server yet so my apologies if it turns up twice.

[...]

The move proposed by the League is consistent with international
treaty and world policy.

Old January 28th 04, 02:23 PM
Bill Sohl

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

[...]

Great post. Propose anything and there will be that minority that
opposes it.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK
ARRL and NCI