Old January 29th 04, 06:06 AM
Daniel J. Morlan

Default Finding the callsign of a long-silent-key.

Is there a database anywhere in the world that has all of the names
and addresses of every licensed ham there ever was? My grandfather,
John W. Tolson (or Wilson J. Tolson, probably more accurately. He
used his middle name) was a ham from the early to mid 50's, possibly
until his death in 1983. He was probably first licensed in Hawaii,
then California, then Utah.

I know his son and grandsons are licensees, but I'm a lot more curious
about his license specifically, and possibly the length of time some
of these four-letter callsigners have had their callsigns. Is there
such a database available to the public? I'd sure love to get my
grandfather's old callsign. At least to know what it was.

73, KG6TKA

Daniel
Old January 29th 04, 02:55 PM
bunnydawg

Write an inquiry note to the ARRL as they may know of him.
Robert
VE3 something or other
om...

Old January 29th 04, 05:39 PM
Eddie Haskel

Daniel...check with some of the libraries, a few keep the old callbooks.
Will snoop around on here and see if I cand find it. I suspect since you
just got your callsign you want his as a "Vanity" call? How far are you from
the Los ANgeles area? The public library on 5th street in downtown DOES have
the old callbooks as well as other old radio pubs....Eddie

Old January 29th 04, 06:51 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Try the QCWA Quarter Century Wireless Association. Its on the internet.

Drop them an e-mail. They have old call books.

If its real old they may have him listed by his name and then the call. Not
sure on that tho.

How about asking his kin what they remember his call was?

Dan/W4NTI

Old January 30th 04, 11:19 PM
Daniel J. Morlan

I have asked... They don't know. They were not particularly
supportive of his hobby anyway.

I have no idea who QCWA is, but I'll look 'em up.

73, KG6TKA

Old January 31st 04, 11:56 AM
Arthur Harris

"Daniel J. Morlan" wrote:
I have asked... They don't know. They were not particularly
supportive of his hobby anyway.

Try a "Name or Place" search at:

http://www.qrz.com/i/names.html

Enter the name of the town where he was most active. This will give you a
list of hams currently active from that town. Search through those names for
some old timers (the date of birth is listed on most entries). Try writing
or emailing a few of those old timers to see if they remember him and his
call sign.

Art Harris N2AH

Old February 6th 04, 08:57 PM
David Drumheller

Dan,

You're not the only one who's wanted to look up an old call sign or
operator. Presently, there is no complete, on-line, historical database.
Your only hope is to find an archive of old, paper callbooks. But even these
may not be much help as there entries are ordered by call sign, not by name.
Historical data from the FCC is almost impossible to come by. For further
details about this, check out the following link:

http://www.qrz.com/i/pre1987.html

I applied for and received a vanity call sign, but have always wondered
who had it before me. QRZ only goes back to 1993, so I know no one held it
during the past decade. But surely someone has during the past 90 years.
It's a 1-by-2, which is "preferred." It would be astounding if it turned out
that I'm the only holder ever.

-Dave, K3WQ