Old March 21st 04, 03:20 AM
David 01

Default Alignment of Call On License

This may have been discussed before, but wouldn't it be nice if the FCC
would fix the callsign alignment problem on amateur licenses.

This shouldn't be that hard to remedy. Maybe an avalanche of email would get
their attention.

Old March 21st 04, 01:11 PM
Dee D. Flint

"David 01" wrote in message
This may have been discussed before, but wouldn't it be nice if the FCC
would fix the callsign alignment problem on amateur licenses.

This shouldn't be that hard to remedy. Maybe an avalanche of email would

get
their attention.

If you are talking about some people having out of area calls, it is not a
problem. Even if all callsigns were aligned with their call areas, you
still can't tell where a ham is by his/her call sign. For example I live in
Michigan. If I hear a 0 call, do I point my antenna at northern Minnesota
or southern Missouri? Can't tell from the call sign. I still have to look
it up.

Besides you will run into a storm of protest from anyone holding call signs
that are 1x3 or shorter. All sequentially assigned call signs that are 1x3,
1x2, and 2x1 are gone. Therefore anyone not eligible for an Advanced class
2x2 or an Extra 2x2 beginning with A would either have to settle for a 2x3
call or find a vacant vanity call. In the 1x2s and 2x1s these are almost no
vanity calls available.

Then of course, some people would be condemned to frequent call changes as
their job situations require them to move frequently. I was originally
licensed in 1992 in Ohio and thus received an 8 call. Since then, I've
lived in Illinois (9 land), South Dakota (0 land) and now back to Michigan
(once again in 8 land). I would have ended up with 4 different calls and
would not have been able to get my original call back when I moved to
Michigan. Fortunately, I did not have to change my call.

Since you obviously have access to the internet, it only takes a minute to
look up a person's location.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 21st 04, 04:32 PM
David 01

No, what I was talking about was the fact that my callsign is not centered
when the FCC prints it out. As a matter of fact, it's way to the right of
the page. I noticed that a friend's is the same way. We're both Extra class
and my license looks so stupid, I don't want to display it publicly.

Everything else is centered and I know that the FCC is aware of this because
I first reported it in August 2002.

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

Old March 21st 04, 08:05 PM
Dee D. Flint

"David 01" wrote in message
No, what I was talking about was the fact that my callsign is not centered
when the FCC prints it out. As a matter of fact, it's way to the right of
the page. I noticed that a friend's is the same way. We're both Extra

class
and my license looks so stupid, I don't want to display it publicly.

Everything else is centered and I know that the FCC is aware of this

because
I first reported it in August 2002.

Ok, I was not aware of this problem.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 21st 04, 09:01 PM
David 01

Every license I've received since 2002 has been that way. I've had address
changes. And when my friend renewed, his came the same way.

This should be easily corrected in the template they're using but you know
how most government employees are. But it really makes them look stupid. A
third world country probably has no mistakes like that.

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...