Old August 26th 04, 08:13 AM
chuck Adkins

Default Farewell Amatuer Radio :-(

Greetings all,

it is with a heavy heart that I write this message.

after the events of today. I have decided that this hobby just isn't
worth it any longer.

Before it comes out in the news. I will annouce it to the amateur radio
world. Yes, I did get a letter from riley hollingsworth. it was
reguarding a supposed "Death Threat" made to another ham. It happened
on qrz.com. I did post the message, however, I didn't intend it to
sound as it was taken by alot of people. I did send a reply into riley,
I have it hear if anyone wants to read it.

Before I go on, I just wanted to share something.... I got into this
hobby in 1989. I'd been interested in Amateur Radio since age 8. My
grandfather's sister's husband was a ham, He was from Little Rock, ark.
His name was james, his call, was KA5LAB. (Now a silent key) He had a
wonderful shack, even gave classes in his garage. I was so awestruck by
what I saw, I vowed that one day, I would become a Amateur Radio
Operator. and finally in 1989, I finally after alot of years of
stuggle, I finally obtained my Novice license. I was so proud, as were
my parents. about a year or so later, I upgraded to Tech, and again, my
parents were very proud. I always have been proud of this hobby and
I've always enjoyed this hobby.

However, In the last few years, alot has taken place in my life, I've
noticed a change in this hobby as well, some for the good and quite
frankly, alot for the bad. I admit, I haven't been the most popular
person in this hobby, and quite frankly, there's quite a few who don't
like me at all. I speak me mind, quite a bit, I'm for the little guy,
the working stiff, someone who's often overlooked by the "well to do"
in this world. I don't claim to be a perfect shining example of what a
"amateur radio operator" should be, quite frankly, I don't think most
of us could be that.

As I said before, alot has taken place, I'm not the same person who was
originally introduced to this hobby, I've grown up alot, and I'm quite
naive as I once was. I was very naive as Child, needless to say, in my
later teenage years, say, 19-20-21... I grew up in a great big hurry.
and... alot as recently taken place as well, and I've, quite frankly,
been forced to take a long hard look at my life and things around me
and I've noticed that things I really used to hold dear to, simply
don't really hold my interest any longer. at one point in my life, I
lived, breathed, and ate, slept, and walked and talked amateur radio.
it was all I ever was interested in. well, quite frankly, I just don't
have the drive or desire any longer.

Now to address the situation at hand. Thanks to some very "interesting"
people in this fond hobby of mine, I recieved a "bad boy" letter from
our amateur radio enforcement person. Riley Hollingsworth. This
"Incident" in question, did NOT take place on the air, as it was told
to him. It happened on the Internet. well, mr. riley says that doesn't
matter. It only matters that I am a licensed ham and that I supposedly,
made a threat to someone. This is quite disturbing to me. and quite
frankly, I am not so such I like being painted as some dude who goes
around threatening people everyday. I do not do this and I've got
people that would be more than happy to back this statement up. I've
told riley this as well, in my reply.

So, Be that as it may... I have come a decision. I am getting out of
Amateur Radio. This once great hobby, has degenerated down to a level
of which I wish to no longer be associated with any longer. I will be
selling the equipment, eventually. I need to make some repairs to some
of it, and once that's done, it's outta here, the whole station, (I
won't be selling K8RFP'S wattmeter, so, he doesn't have to worry)
However, everything I own, that pertains to amatuer radio, will
cataloged and sold as a package deal. radios, antenna tuner, 2 meter
mobiles, everything is outta here. I will be annoucing this when I am
ready to sell on QTH.NET.

To the local freinds I have made on ham radio and abroad. thank you for
your friendship, you know who you are. To those who did attempt to
railroad me off amateur radio. I hope you are happy. Especially to the
staff of QRZ.COM. for using your personal friendship with riley
hollingsworth, to get me a notice. it served it's purpose.

Thanks for reading this and have a good day...

-Chuck Adkins
K8CPA (Hopefully for a little while longer...)

....-.- ..

Old August 26th 04, 01:12 PM
whoever

I've never talked to or met this guy, BUT, if you want to see what he
really is about then look here!
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=f...tnG=Rechercher
He makes threats all the time. Read it for yourself!
Don't let the door hit ya Chuck.

...-.- ..

Old August 26th 04, 03:19 PM
Minnie Bannister

The FCC has been known to yank amateur radio licenses on the grounds of
the "bad character" of the holder, as evidenced by (if I remember
correctly the one case I read) a conviction of a crime.

Alan NV8A

On 08/26/04 08:35 am Lloyd put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

The original post just doesn't compute. The FCC has no authority over
anything other than what happens on the air, so a threat posted on QRZ
would be out of their jurisdiction. That would be an area for law
enforcement to handle. Same thing for Usenet posts.

If he made threats on the air, that would be an entirely different
matter ...

Old August 26th 04, 04:01 PM
L.

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
The FCC has been known to yank amateur radio licenses on the grounds of
the "bad character" of the holder, as evidenced by (if I remember
correctly the one case I read) a conviction of a crime.

Alan NV8A

On 08/26/04 08:35 am Lloyd put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

The original post just doesn't compute. The FCC has no authority over
anything other than what happens on the air, so a threat posted on QRZ
would be out of their jurisdiction. That would be an area for law
enforcement to handle. Same thing for Usenet posts.

If he made threats on the air, that would be an entirely different
matter ...

I believe he said "someone turned him in for having made the threat" over
the air, even though he claims he didn't. However, he did also admit to the
FCC that he made the threat - even if it wasn't on the air. So, they have
the direct admission to the offense and reports it happened. Obviously the
FCC chose to accept the word of those reporting it. Therefore, "thinking" it
happened on the air, they would in a sense have jurisdiction. I'd hope
they'd have asked for proof of it - being done ON THE AIR, but perhaps they
erred on the side of caution.

As to the statement at the top, I believe I've heard of that being done as
well.... So............. who knows..........?

L.

Old August 26th 04, 04:24 PM
Papa

On 26 Aug 2004 00:13:02 -0700, "chuck Adkins"

**** off Chuck, you psychopathic ****.
Old August 26th 04, 05:25 PM
Splinter

On 26 Aug 2004 12:35:56 GMT, "Lloyd" wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:12:02 -0400, whoever whoever@wherever wrote:
I've never talked to or met this guy, BUT, if you want to see what he
really is about then look here!
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=f...tnG=Rechercher
He makes threats all the time. Read it for yourself!
Don't let the door hit ya Chuck.

The original post just doesn't compute. The FCC has no authority over
anything other than what happens on the air, so a threat posted on QRZ
would be out of their jurisdiction. That would be an area for law
enforcement to handle. Same thing for Usenet posts.

If he made threats on the air, that would be an entirely different
matter ...

As I understand it, though, the "death threats" go towards
Chuck's character, and that is something that the EB and Riely look at
in determining whether someone can remain a licensed ham.
If Chuck handles it the right way and explains to FCC that it
was a joke and that the is no way that Chuck would carry out the
threats allegedly made, I'm hoping that the matter would blow over.
I'd hate to see one mistake chase an seemingly good person off
the air. Chuck doesn't seem to be the Jack Gerritson type who thinks
that the law and FCC rules are irrelevant.

Splinter

Old August 26th 04, 05:32 PM
Splinter

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:19:43 -0400, Minnie Bannister
wrote:

The FCC has been known to yank amateur radio licenses on the grounds of
the "bad character" of the holder, as evidenced by (if I remember
correctly the one case I read) a conviction of a crime.

Alan NV8A

Well, the case you're thinking about wasn't a petty theft, it
was murder and, yes, the FCC can and will yank a license for character
issues, basing their "logic" on "Well, if he's willing to commit a
crime, he won't be willing to comply with the FCC Rules and be honest
about it."
Unfortunately, unless Congress steps in and says that certain
misdemeanors shouldn't be counted against a person's character, the
FCC will be yanking licenses for that reason. And, Congress will not
be willing to listen, fearing a voter backlash for being soft on
crime, even petty crimes that would get a person 30 days in jail.
A friend of mine told me that a long term member of RACES was
forced to leave after a minor crime (no jail, just a fine), but, it
was a high enough crime that DHS said, "Dump him or else."
It's not impossible to regain the ticket, though, fortunately.
I recently read where a guy whose character was enough to yank the
ticket proved to an ALJ that he had learned his lesson and was
rehabbed. The ALJ, as mentioned, agreed that was the case and the
Commission affirmed the ALJ's decision and returned the guy's ticket.

Splinter
Old August 26th 04, 05:33 PM
Splinter

wrote:

Greetings all,

it is with a heavy heart that I write this message.

after the events of today. I have decided that this hobby just isn't
worth it any longer.

---snip---

To the local freinds I have made on ham radio and abroad. thank you for
your friendship, you know who you are. To those who did attempt to
railroad me off amateur radio. I hope you are happy. Especially to the
staff of QRZ.COM. for using your personal friendship with riley
hollingsworth, to get me a notice. it served it's purpose.

I got dibs on the HTs, if any

Splinter
Old August 26th 04, 06:38 PM
whoever

Hey Splinter
Did you read any of this?
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=f...tnG=Rechercher

" I'd hate to see one mistake chase an seemingly good person off
the air."

One mistake?????
He's been doing this for years!

As I understand it, though, the "death threats" go towards
Chuck's character, and that is something that the EB and Riely look at
in determining whether someone can remain a licensed ham.
If Chuck handles it the right way and explains to FCC that it
was a joke

Nobody said the FCC was taking his license????
I don't think I would take this next post as a joke!

Chuck K8CPA wrote
I remember a few years back here in The Motor City here, there was a
dude, the *supposedly* bought a "box" from a local dude here that was
building them, he would go around and start running said guy in the
ground, giving out his real name, address, ect.... trying to say he
sold him a bad unit ect.... anyways, one fine day, he got tired of it,
the guy got a friendly visit from the local chapter of the IRON
COFFINS at his house, beat him and his 21 year old punk ass kid to
bloody pulp, had thier way with his woman, and as they were leaving,
they said, "this is for running your mouth!"

My point?

Sometimes it's best not to be the loose cannon, cause you never know
who knows who, and who's friends with whom....

73

-Chuck K8CPA

68 pages of crap on a google search. Everything from having a CCW and
taking his gun to a swap meet, beating and having their way with
somebodies wife, Selling cb amps, moding 10 meter radios for cber's!
just take a few and read some of the stuff here!