Old November 24th 04, 01:29 AM
Dave Bushong

Default Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50)

Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:
Well I would start with the ARRL page URL:
http://www.arrl.org/news/rfsafety/

Then a calculator at URL:
http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/

Call a TV shop that installs antennas -- most can handle small roof top
installations.
Be sure they read and understand the installation instruction sheet.

Good Luck

Thank god, someone answers the question.

Newsgroups are so much different from the ham bands. People here are
95% losers, present company excluded, of course. If the original poster
would have been able to ask the question on the air, he would have
gotten a great reply. On this newsgroup, it was mostly ascerbic (again,
Keyboard excepted), which is typical from people who never get on the
air, and who probably don't have a license in the first place.

I'm afraid that newcomers will judge the hobby by the bulk of losers on
this media, instead of getting on the air.

GET ON THE AIR, PLEASE.

You will find that most of the people who get on the air are a lot more
positive and upbeat than people who can't get the antenna up.

All the best, and 73,
Dave
KZ1O

(groups trimmed)
Old November 24th 04, 02:51 AM
whoever

Dave Bushong wrote:

[...]

Wow
Is this aimed at me?
I did answer his question the best I knew how, which is more then you did!
Reread all of my post please.

Old November 24th 04, 02:58 PM
J999w

It's not about license class. Why does it seem
that so many Technician class don't have a clue about the simplest of
things about radio or antennas but they know how to get a vanity call?

Ya gotta start somewhere.

When I first started in 1976 I ran 15 watts from a homebrew transmitter on 40
meters to a 'dipole' that was 15 ft on one side and 30 feet on the other. SWR?
Huh?

I worked 20 states like that.

I like to think I've learned a few things since then.

:^]

John K9RZZ
Old November 24th 04, 09:03 PM
Dave Bushong

J999w wrote:
It's not about license class. Why does it seem
that so many Technician class don't have a clue about the simplest of
things about radio or antennas but they know how to get a vanity call?

Ya gotta start somewhere.

When I first started in 1976 I ran 15 watts from a homebrew transmitter on 40
meters to a 'dipole' that was 15 ft on one side and 30 feet on the other. SWR?
Huh?

I worked 20 states like that.

I like to think I've learned a few things since then.

:^]

John K9RZZ

Just to prove a point, I have used a lawnchair, and a metal garbage can,
to make HF contacts. If you really want to get on the air, you can.
Old November 24th 04, 11:38 PM
J999w

Just to prove a point, I have used a lawnchair, and a metal garbage can,
to make HF contacts. If you really want to get on the air, you can.

My record is 6 miles on 80 meters with a six inch wire end loaded with a soda
can (too young at the time to get a beer can easily).

jw
k9rzz

Old November 25th 04, 03:09 AM
Dave Bushong

J999w wrote:
Just to prove a point, I have used a lawnchair, and a metal garbage can,
to make HF contacts. If you really want to get on the air, you can.

My record is 6 miles on 80 meters with a six inch wire end loaded with a soda
can (too young at the time to get a beer can easily).

Big mistake - beer cans help, if for no other reason, it makes it easier
to lie about the results after emptying said can.

But isn't it true that you really can get on the air with anything?
Sure, you won't win DX contests with a 6" wire, but if you really want
to get on the air, you can.

Woo-hoo! I think I will get on 80 CW right now. See ya!

KZ1O
Old November 25th 04, 03:23 PM
Dr.Ace

I have made HF contacts while using a KW Kan dummy load as an antenna.
I was doing some Transceiver alignment while transmitting into the dummy
load and to my surprise when I unkeyed, I had a station calling me.
I know people who have made HF contacts while using bed springs or a piece
of aluminum foil as an antenna.
I always thought an aluminum ladder would make a great vertical especially
with a few ground radials under it.
Ace - www.WH2T.com