Old December 28th 04, 12:05 AM
Dave Bushong

Default Tidal wave hits US?

FICTION?

The United States today suffered the effects of a 9.0 earthquake and
resulting tidal wave. The disastrous events of this morning knocked out
many power lines and all cellular and landline communications. Amateur
radio operators volunteered to be of service providing life-saving
communications, but were unable to be of assistance due to the pervasive
Broadband over Power Lines (BPL) radiation that was emanating from
nearly every remaining power line.

"We've pretty much been limited to Tech frequencies since BPL was rushed
into service," said K. Hurts, press agent for Hams on VHF. "We can talk
across the street on HF, but it takes all the power that we have, and
since many of us are limited by antenna restrictions, we finally gave
up. We can't use HF."

"Where are the hams?" asked President G. W. Bush. "I thought this group
of highly-trained volunteer operators would be there to help us when our
infrastructure fails." Where indeed. Why do they expect hams to be
able to communicate when their multi-million dollar systems fail?

Strange bedfellows

Connie Hunt, president of the homeowners association in Douche, MN, was
unable to contact her dear sister in the affected area. Remembering
that one of her neighbors was a ham operator, she contacted Mr. Smart.
After asking him if he could contact her sister, Smart said that no, he
couldn't, because his CCR limited his antenna to 13 feet AGL. "Isn't
that enough to get 1200 miles? I can call on my cell phone farther than
that, and it only has a 4" antenna!"

"Go ahead," said Smart.

"Well, I can't, because the cell phone isn't working now," said Hunt.

"I wish I had a better antenna so I could help you, you stupid Hunt."

During the rush to approve BPL operations, one news op-ed piece asked
"Why should progress in high-speed internet be held back by some hobby
that no one needs? We need high-speed connectivity. Ham operators can
find another equally-interesting hobby, maybe stamp or coin collecting."
When asked for comment about her earlier statement regarding ham
operators, the reporter replied

(you finish the story)

When the president was asked why the FCC allowed the HF spectrum to be
polluted with BPL, he said

(you finish the story)

When the homeowners organization said that hams should be able to use
their small (and still unsightly) antennas to work for the general
public during a disaster, we told them

(you finish the story)

Old December 28th 04, 12:42 AM
Spike

The FCC in my opinion is now a proxy
for corporations and big business.
Amateurs are in for a big struggle
if frequencies and traditional enforcement
provisions are to be upheld. Everything
from income taxes, social security, judicial
appointments is up for sale. That includes
frequencies and protection from BPL. Of
course we voted Republican and really had
little choice considering the condition which
the other party has come into. Stand by for
a ram and listen to the intereference, and
watch businesses grab for frequencies. I
doubt if we hams will get much listening
to from this administration.73s

Old December 29th 04, 08:16 AM
Tony VE6MVP

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:42:31 -0700, "Spike"
wrote:

The FCC in my opinion is now a proxy
for corporations and big business.

As are the Congress Critters elected by the American public. Who
donates money to the Congress critters Political Action Committees and
such in significant chunks? Right, special interest groups and
businesses.

Tony

Earthquake and Tidal Wave tox General 12 January 1st 05 04:48 PM
Newbie ?: I've Built A Simple 1/4 Wave Dipole for 2 Mtrs. Could IMake a1/2 Wave? WolfMan Homebrew 4 September 29th 04 02:40 PM
Question on antenna symantics Jimmy Antenna 28 January 27th 04 02:10 AM
vertical dipole? Desmoface Antenna 25 January 16th 04 01:20 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM