Old February 15th 05, 12:10 AM
Bill

In message , Dave D
writes

rather advanced for their time, crap case, crap internal aerial.

Not as bad as the PF6, the metal sliding handle covered the PF5 style
aerial!

Were they dirty?

Very.
We were still making a few in 1975/6 until we got an analyser in the
dept. that put an end to tuning for max. RF on a diode detector at the
bottom of a rabbit hutch as most of it was no where near where it should
have been.

Dave

--
Bill
Old February 15th 05, 12:21 AM
Brian Reay

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Dave D
writes

rather advanced for their time, crap case, crap internal aerial.

Not as bad as the PF6, the metal sliding handle covered the PF5 style
aerial!

Were they dirty?

Very.
We were still making a few in 1975/6 until we got an analyser in the
dept. that put an end to tuning for max. RF on a diode detector at the
bottom of a rabbit hutch as most of it was no where near where it should
have been.

Did you actually use this arrangement in the factory then? I always assumed
it was simply a repair shop bit of kit.

I made one from cardboard about the time I was first licenced- it was used
many times to convert PF1s.

I've still got a couple of PF1s in the loft I think- including one rx
converted to 2m.

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Old February 15th 05, 12:26 AM
Bill

In message , Brian Reay
writes
Did you actually use this arrangement in the factory then? I always assumed
it was simply a repair shop bit of kit.

Yes, I came in after PF1's were all but finished but we still had the
wire cage, seem to recall it stood about 4/5 foot high. Blooming long
time ago though.

I made one from cardboard about the time I was first licenced- it was used
many times to convert PF1s.

I've still got a couple of PF1s in the loft I think- including one rx
converted to 2m.

That must have been fun.
We used to make VHF PF5's for amusement though.

--
Bill
Old February 15th 05, 12:36 AM
Brian Reay

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Brian Reay
writes
Did you actually use this arrangement in the factory then? I always

assumed
it was simply a repair shop bit of kit.

Yes, I came in after PF1's were all but finished but we still had the
wire cage, seem to recall it stood about 4/5 foot high. Blooming long
time ago though.

Don't recall it being quite 5 ft but maybe.

I made one from cardboard about the time I was first licenced- it was

used
many times to convert PF1s.

I've still got a couple of PF1s in the loft I think- including one rx
converted to 2m.

That must have been fun.
We used to make VHF PF5's for amusement though.

It wasn't two bad actually- bit deaf with the original 'plate' antenna but
with a 19" bit of wire it wasn't too bad.

Pye kit from that era was a delight to convert and there always seemed to be
loads at rallies.

Old February 15th 05, 07:52 AM
Airy R.Bean

1. Brian, OM, there was no response from you to my offer that you
should consider burying the hatchet.

2. You've stopped responding to me, despite that you were so happy
to talk to me at Didcot for the 5 minutes, or so, in total in 5 second
bursts
that we spent together on Sunday at Didcot. Have I done or said something to
offend you?

Coming on top of your frequent habit of sneering at ideas that you
whine are "bodges", your outburst below seems to be the Freudian
Slip of someone who may be quite _INSECURE_ and of a bullying
personality, do you not think.

Old February 15th 05, 08:42 AM
Airy R.Bean

If someone were to sulk, would that be instrumental in their
habit of sneering in general terms about software, etc, showing an
increase as they desperately tried to save face but, in fact,
showed _INSECURITY_?