Old February 24th 05, 05:45 PM
Buck

Default IF Bandpass Filters

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:10:33 -0800, Justín Käse
wrote:

I'm considering adding an IF filter to my 706, and am trying to decide
between the 1.9kc or the 2.8kc width for use on SSB.
Has anyone any experience with either/both?
FL-103 2.8kc
FL-223 1.9kc

Unfortunately I don't, but I am just as anxious to hear the answers.

--
73 for now
Buck
Old February 24th 05, 09:58 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Justín Käse" wrote in message
I'm considering adding an IF filter to my 706, and am trying to decide
between the 1.9kc or the 2.8kc width for use on SSB.
Has anyone any experience with either/both?
FL-103 2.8kc
FL-223 1.9kc

--

JK

Not with the 706 per se, however you basically need to decide if you want
decent quality or hi pitched un-natural voice.

2.8 is a good choice for a decent sounding SSB signal. 1.9 would be good
for digging one out of the noise.

If the 706 is switchable for those choices, get them both.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 25th 05, 01:10 AM
Dr.Ace - WH2T

Hi,
I agree with Dan.
I haven't used a 706 but on my Yaesu FT-920 , it came from the factory with
a 2.4 kc IF filter.
I modified it to transmit with a 2.8 kc IF filter "which helped the transmit
fidelity a lot" and currently it is using the original 2.4 kc IF filter for
receive. I plan to replace the 2.4 kc IF filter with a 2.1 kc IF filter as
soon as I decide to turn loose of $125.00 plus S/H for the filter.

International Radio, Umpqua, OR
Sells great IF filters
They say
Our choices for SSB a
a.. #716 2.8 kHz (maximum audio quality; minimum selectivity)
b.. #709 2.1 kHz (we think this is the best all-purpose width unless
conditions are very crowded)
c.. #711 1.8 kHz (the contesters like this one: maximum selectivity, but
minimum audio quality)
Ace - WH2T

ink.net...

Old February 25th 05, 04:39 AM
Buck

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:58:43 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

"Justín Käse" wrote in message
I'm considering adding an IF filter to my 706, and am trying to decide
between the 1.9kc or the 2.8kc width for use on SSB.
Has anyone any experience with either/both?
FL-103 2.8kc
FL-223 1.9kc

--

JK

Not with the 706 per se, however you basically need to decide if you want
decent quality or hi pitched un-natural voice.

2.8 is a good choice for a decent sounding SSB signal. 1.9 would be good
for digging one out of the noise.

If the 706 is switchable for those choices, get them both.

Dan/W4NTI

I believe you can only add two filters. One can be for CW and one for
SSB or both for one mode.

Thanks
Buck
--
73 for now
Buck
Old February 26th 05, 01:39 AM
Buck

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:50:20 -0800, Justín Käse
wrote:

wrote:

I'm considering adding an IF filter to my 706, and am trying to decide
between the 1.9kc or the 2.8kc width for use on SSB.
Has anyone any experience with either/both?
FL-103 2.8kc
FL-223 1.9kc

Unfortunately I don't, but I am just as anxious to hear the answers.

OK
Just got both of them, and after an easy installation want to say that
they are well worth the trouble.
On crowded bands the narrow filter (FL223) makes an enormous difference
in the ability to copy weaker stations 3kc away from adjacent stronger
ones, and the slight degradation in audio fidelity is quite an
acceptable tradeoff.
I also like to listen to AM broadcast band DX, and the ability to use
SSB mode to dig out the weaker stations next to strong ones now has
improved fidelity with the wider filter (FL103), while still rejecting
the splatter from excessively "OptiModded" locals.
...anxiously awaiting the D layer opening this evening g

Thank you

--
73 for now
Buck